The Write Service (Part 2)

Again we get to welcome back our guest writer JoymomentsSISTER Woohoo!!! So happy to have her back for the completion of this cross over!

Go read part 1 if you haven't already. Now on with the show!

***********************************

Cece kept glancing sideways as she followed Donovan back to the van. He had a stoic quietness about him that made being around him easy. Cece was sure he was the good cop when it came to doing interrogations with Carter.

"So, how long have you and Carter been married?" Cece asked as they crossed the street.

Donovan gave her a sideways glance but that was all. No emotion, no reaction and no hint that she had guessed right. She wondered if she was wrong.

When they reached the van, Carter was waiting outside for them. She looked at Donovan like she had already been proven right when she said this was a bad idea. Donovan looked back like he was asking her to trust him and Cece began to think she had been right about them being married.

"Miss Mackenzie," Carter said bitterly.

"Agent Carter," Cece said.

She mimicked Carter's stiff body language trying to show she wasn't intimidated by her.

"Alright," Donovan said, sensing things could get out of hand. "Lets get inside before anyone sees us."

"Ladies first," Carter said.

Cece laughed. "Please, I am not emotionally mature enough to be called a lady. Ma'am would do just fine."

Cece didn't need to be looking to know the kind of look Carter gave Donovan as Cece climbed into the van. Carter seemed to operate on two modes: hostile and annoyed.

To Cece's surprise, the two agents climbed into the back of the van behind her and shut the door. For the first since she had been in the van Cece didn't have two guns pointed at her and had the chance to look around. The back half of the van was setup with computers and gear and Cece looked closely at it all. Maybe her next novel would be a spy action and all these details would come in handy.

"So..." Donovan said, pulling Cece's attention back to them. "Miss Mackenzie, we would like to hear what you know about Freddy Wainwright." He nodded to her briefcase but she pulled out her phone.

"I thought you would never ask," Cece said.

Carter gave her a cold look but it quickly disappeared as Cece began to share all that she had learned over the last six months. To be honest, Cece was way behind on her latest book. But all the time she hadn't spent writing her novel had been spent at her front window, observing her neighbors, especially Freddy and Penelope.

Freddy and Penelope hadn't especially piqued her interest the first few days of her writer's block, but when Cece had purposefully stationed herself outside in order to 'naturally' meet them, they had shared so much personal information she had become suspicious. She had been living in Boston long enough to know that unless you were family, the pre-approved topics of conversation included the weather and the sports teams.

From Freddy and Penelope's accents she had known they weren't local, and she had a feeling there was something off about them. After their first conversation Cece had found her choice of distraction for this round of writer's block.

Other than her horrible cases of writer's block, Cece was a hard worker and the hard work didn't stop when it came to her distractions. She had logs of the Wainwright's comings and goings. A list and description of all their visitors, what type of food they liked to eat and their choice of brand for most home products. The last she had discovered by going through their trash.