Sneaking Out

Wrote this cause I did a live chat on Instagram where I asked for your advice on what to write for the day and someone said THE KIDS JOY, so that's what I did. Thanks for the help. ❤️

Also there is something important in the author's note so please read! 😘

**********************************

The blackness was oppressive as Kennedy felt around the floor for her left shoe. When her hand brushed against it, she snatched it and tucked it under her arm. Barely breathing, she crept to her door and eased it open. It made no sound since she had purposefully made sure the hinges were oiled earlier that week.

She peered through the crack at the doorway on the opposite end of the short hall. Her parent's door was still firmly shut and there wasn't a sound beyond. Holding her breath, she slipped out and tiptoed out to the living room, bypassing the spots she knew squeaked. Her keys let out a tiny click as she picked them up from the bowl and she froze, her body tensed for any sound.

None came.

Letting out a sigh of relief, she pulled the front door open and snuck into the hallway. Across the way, Harrison was leaning against the wall, ankles crossed. He had his eyes closed like he was planning to fall asleep there.

"Ha, ha," Kennedy said, tugging on her shoes. "It's not my fault my parents are FBI agents and yours sleep like the dead."

Harrison smirked. "Guess I'm just lucky."

Kennedy punched his arm. Even though they were both fifteen, Harrison had decided to take the lead in the upward growth department and left Kennedy behind by a few inches.

"Come on. We can't be at this party too late or my parent's early morning will be the death of me."

"How do you know about this party?"

Kennedy shrugged. "I heard a couple of seniors talking about it. It's for some other private high school or something. No one should know us and so we should be in the clear."

Harrison pushed himself off the wall and tossed one arm around her.

"Away we go then."

They laughed as they headed down the hallway and called up the elevator.

As they climbed on and the doors slid shut, the door to Kennedy's apartment opened. Donovan stepped out, his arms crossed as Carter leaned against the door frame.

"You think we would have taught her well enough that she would be better at this," she said.

"She's still learning."

"I will give her credit for oiling the door hinges earlier in the week instead of today."

"Yes, but she left the evidence out and didn't work at masking the smell in any way."

Carter nodded. "True. Rookie move."

"Do we want to stop them now or follow and embarrass them?"

When Carter smiled at Donovan, he grinned back, knowing the answer.

******

The pounding of music was the first thing to greet the pair and the second was the smell of too many bodies close together. Without bothering to knock, they pushed open the door to the apartment and were washed with the pulsing beat and the onslaught of noise. Bodies packed the place, some standing and shouting at each other in a rough form of conversation while others pressed up against each other in a vague form of dancing.

Kennedy grabbed Harrison's arm and pulled his ear closer to her.

"Drinks or dancing first?" Kennedy said.