The Reception

Because so many of you wanted this and honestly I thought it was going to be boring since it was just a chapter full of them being cute but I ended up liking it more than I thought. Hope you do too.

Obviously you should read the Wedding chapter before reading this.

***********************************

Despite James' declaration, the celebration couldn't take place just yet. Instead of the reception tent, they remained in the church. FBI agents swarmed the place, handcuffing the gunmen and taking them away. Donovan sat beside Carter on a pew bench holding her hand as a medic stitched the gunshot wound on her arm.

"At least now, I'll have matching scars," Carter said, eying the faded knife wound she'd gotten years ago.

"You once told me scars are cool," Donovan said. "But I would prefer if you didn't get anymore."

Carter snorted then winced as the medic dug the needle into her skin.

"If you want that then we need to change occupations."

"If we don't change occupations after today I think it's safe to say we are both insane."

Carter shrugged one shoulder and Donovan laughed before kissing her.

There was something different about kissing now that they were married. It was an indescribable feeling. It was like he could feel the invisible link between his life and hers. He'd always felt tied to her, but this was different. It was a bond that went deeper.

"You're done," the medic said, standing.

Donovan thanked him as he left.

"Only you two!" a voice shouted out. "Only you two would have a firefight at your wedding."

Carter rolled her eyes as she leaned into Donovan and Mason made his way through all the shell casings and broken bits of plaster.

"Mason, still alive," Carter said. "Pity, I was hoping a stray bullet found you."

"Ha ha," Mason said. "If I died my wedding present would have been canceled."

"Mason, your wedding present should have been you not coming to our wedding."

"Donovan," Mason said. "What have you done? You married this woman, are you out of your mind?"

Donovan looked down at Carter. Her hair had come undone and fell around her face. Her dress was torn and disheveled. Her face was streaked with bits of dust. All in all, she looked like a complete mess.

And he was so in love with her he felt like his heart might explode from the feeling.

Mason gaged. "That look is giving acid reflex."

James appeared from the swarm of agents and tossed one arm over Mason's shoulders.

"Mason, jealousy is not a good color on you."

Mason shrugged off James's arm. "Are we going to have this reception? Because it's really the only reason I attended."

Brock and Clint joined the group. The three Keller brothers looked like Donovan did, rumpled and bursting with life.

"We just got the all-clear from the director," Brock said. "They will finish up here. They said that you can write up your reports later. And after what you just went through he thought you deserved to go to your reception. Come on, cars are waiting."

Donovan helped Carter up and slid his arm around her waist. She leaned into him and though she'd never admit it, he knew how much the fight and her wound had taken out of her. He kissed the side of her head.