Monarch - Chapter Twenty-Five

"You see, a secret is not something untold. It's something which can't be told." -Terence McKenna

'~-JJ(Jessica)-~'

June 9th, 2022 : The Present

The sun rose over the horizon as a new day dawned upon the Magic Web. The sky blazed a fiery red, and the seas of both Magic and Mortal lapped quietly at their shores.

"Red at morning: sailors take warning," I repeated, gazing out over Heaven's Gate. It would be less than an hour until my brother and I were to be taken by the government- even though he was still injured by the spectacle of many days ago.

The land below the cliff sent a wave of tranquility through my body.

"Somehow, I don't feel any different knowing what is going to happen to me," I told Nova, who had appeared behind me.

"I feel the same. It is a burden that we alone must carry."

"I don't exactly look forward to my brother being captured." I looked at them with a solemn expression.

"I don't look forward to it, either."

Nova rested their hand on my shoulder.

"I know, it's time to go." With one final glance, I reappeared at my estate.

Jason was waiting for me.

"C'mon, JJ! We have to go to school!" My brother tossed my backpack at me and practically dragged me out of the house.

"I'm following you, Geez," I mumbled, trudging behind him. And we were off.

Just as I predicted, before we could turn the corner, needles were stuck into our throats and the world went dark.

'~-Spencer-~'

I arrived at the BAU with a cup of coffee in my hands. My team was already gathered at the table- eating candy and discussing the next move. The sun was almost above us at this point.

"Late night?" Matt Simmons teased as I walked in.

"I didn't sleep very well." I offered him a weak smile. Last night, it had been difficult to fall asleep because of a sudden burst of anxiety. Amelia had helped me through it, but even after the anxiety stopped I could not stay asleep.

I worked the day away, and eventually, the moon began to rise in the dark sky.

"Good evening, everybody." A woman with short blond hair entered the room. Her name was Linda Barnes- she was one of our higher-ups.

"My apologies if this comes off as rude, but what are you doing here?" Emily Prentiss spoke up.

"I understand that we are not on the best of terms ever since I messed with the BAU. This, however, is more important. The director trusts you- don't give him a reason not to." All of us stared at her in confusion.

"What is this about?" I asked her.

"The Prince and Princess of the Magi were found by some of the government's spies. They are now in our custody. President Whitmore requests that you try to get information about the king out of them."