Coffee, Sugar, and Magic - Chapter One

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

'~-Spencer-~'

February 4th, 2001 - 5:00 P.M.

A small bell rang as I opened the glass door to Solien's Cafe. Maeve waved her hand wildly above her head, and I walked over to her booth. She rose from her seat and engulfed me in a hug, a cheery smile permanently resting on her face. 

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Maeve guided me to the seat across from her, and took her own seat, facing me.

"I-I'm not entirely sure how to explain this, but, I h-had a dream. A really wild, odd dream." A snicker escaped her lips.

"Oh~ I see where this is going. Spence, you should've told me you got a crush~." 

My face flushed with embarrassment. "No, it's not like that, Maeve. Well- the dream was about someone, just not someone I've ever met." 

She folded her delicate hands beneath her chin. "Well, according to science, you must've seen her face somewhere, even if only for a fraction of a second."

"How do you know it was a her?" 

"You're flustered. Unless there's a little something you need to tell me," I chuckled, shaking my head. "Then you definitely met a girl. What's she like?"

"From what I saw- uh- she's shorter than average, brown hair and brown eyes." I struggled to remember the details of my dream.

"Well, you could've told me that in the letter, Spencer." Maeve narrowed her eyes. "But there's something you want to show me, something you couldn't describe in a paragraph."

I nodded. "Name an object no bigger than the palm of my hand."

"That's pretty big, Lover Boy." She joked, and this time I rolled my eyes at the innuendo. 

Maeve continued. "Mm, how about, I don't know, a music box."

 I closed my eyes and imagined what the object would look like. I imagined the protruding golden swirls wrapping around the exterior like a blanket. I imagined the light pink fabric lining the interior. I imagined the soft melody playing on repeat, and a spinning figurine of Maeve reading a book took center stage.

"SPENCE. OH MY GOD SPENCER WHAT THE HELL." I opened my eyes, and in front of me was said object. Gently picking it up, I wound up the little metal part and opened the lid. A soft melody carried its way to our ears. 

"Spencer. How. did you do that." 

"That's what I'm here to talk to you about." I closed the lid and made eye contact with her. "I had a dream about a woman who wasn't a human. She was the queen of some sort of alien species who could use magic. She told me that I was one of them. I thought it was odd until this morning when I was on my way out the door." I paused to bring my satchel up onto the table. 

"I just wanted to test it out and I was able to teleport my bag into my hand." 

Her jaw practically hit the floor, and a few moments of silence passed between us before we burst into laughter.

"Wow, Spence. So, you really need my help, huh?" I smiled at her, taking her hand in mine.

"Maeve, you're the only person I know who would believe me, who wouldn't call me crazy, who wouldn't- I dunno- report me to the authorities and have me experimented on." We both laughed.