The Host - Chapter Eleven

"Kidnapping causes a long-term rupture in the psyche of those kidnapped and of those who wait for their return. It doesn't end." -Uzodinma Iweala

'~-Spencer-~'

June 28th, 2003

I gasped for air as my nightmare had been interrupted by the ringing of my cell phone. It took me a few seconds to register what was happening. I had been having nightmares every day since she had been kidnapped, and each one was more violent than the last.

I pressed the green answer button.

"Hello?" My voice sounded groggy.

"Spencer, we found Amelia." Nova was practically out of breath on the other end.

I shot straight up out of my bed, not caring to change out of my pajamas as I arrived at the hospital.

"Where is she?" My heart was beating in my throat as Nova appeared in front of me.

"Come, I'll show you." They grabbed my hand and led me to a room that was not too far from the waiting room.

There, lying on the soft, white hospital bed, was the love of my life. She was covered in filth and bruises. I ran to her side, letting out a soft cry as I examined her thoroughly. Neat purple marks wrapped around her neck and her bottom lip was covered in dried blood from biting it too hard.

"Amelia?" I whispered, but there was no response from her.

"She'll be out for a while. It looks like she took quite the beating, too." Nova rubbed my shoulder comfortingly.

I closed my hands into fists, knuckles turning white from the pressure. I was going to kill the bastard that hurt her.

"Ugh." The moan came from Amelia, who squinted against the harsh light.

"Why is it that when I say something, you always manage to prove me wrong?" They shook their head.

"Everything hurts." Amelia groaned again, trying her best to stretch out her stiff body. "Why does everything hurt?"

"You were taken and badly bruised. You have multiple broken bones, too. The good news is, you should be out in less than two days and fully healed in four." Nova rattled off the facts.

"I don't remember anything." She sat up.

"People who've gone through traumatic experiences tend to repress those memories to better cope with them," I explained.

"No, Spencer, I don't remember anything at all. I didn't even know I had been taken. The last thing I remember is going to sleep in my bed."

"Again, severe trauma can be hard to process. Your brain is trying to protect you."

Amelia groaned as her head hit the pillow. "Can you stay with me?"

"Of course. I'll be right here the whole time, okay?" She nodded, smiling as her breathing slowed, and she fell asleep.

"Call me if anything bad happens." Nova left the room.

Soon, I fell asleep as well, happy to finally be by my wife's side.