⊰45⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 15

Meliorist Sanctum

After my somewhat awkward introduction to Rian, he'd stayed for the remainder of the chess club meeting. Getting to know everyone and starting to learn the basics himself, it was a somewhat productive meeting. I'd been so harsh to judge him...

...because he even asked if I wanted to grab a coffee with him before heading back to my dorm room for the evening. It was a sweet and refreshing take on every other vampire that I'd met, but I still kept myself guarded. We took our drinks to go, only mine was a nice, warm hot chocolate with little marshmallows and whipped topping.

I clutch the demonology book tight under my arm and against my side.

Rian asks me while walking, "How'd you get so good at chess?"

"As my mom isn't the brightest in the world..." my voice trails off as I unintentionally scoff with irritation, "...well, neither is my dad the more I-" I cut myself short when I see Rian staring at me out of the corner of my eye. Bringing the cup to my lips, I take a quick sip of the hot chocolate before I clear my throat saying, "Let's start again...my dad was the one to teach me at a young age."

He arches a brow and states, "That's an odd game to teach a young kid," he pauses and takes a sip of his coffee before asking, "any reason in particular?"

"What physical strength I lack, my dad believed I could make up for mentally," I release a sigh. Believed...that's the keyword. So far, it's done nothing much for me. If anything, it was a tell when he was able to win our last match that something was off and that did absolutely nothing for me.

While I dwell on the past events from this summer, Rian tilts his head to the side and says, "Well...I don't see you lacking any physical strength."

"Ha, that's a laugh," I roll my eyes before taking another sip of my hot chocolate.

"What? Just because you're human makes you physically weak?" As he says this, I nearly shoot hot chocolate out my nose. Instead, I merely choke on it while coughing as I halt my movements on the pathway.

When I finally recover, Rian also stands still, blowing through the opening of the lid on the cup before taking another sip of his coffee. He keeps his eyes on me though, and I clear my throat stating, "Why yes...in case you missed it, every other species is by far physically stronger than humans so yes...I am weak."

"You're only weak because you think you are," he rolls his own eyes this time, and before I can interject, he's quick to continue, "you said you lack physical strength...but that doesn't make weak."

While I stare at him hard, I'm trying to grasp what he means. Arching a brow, I ask him, "What games did you exactly grow up on then?"

He shrugs his shoulders and replies as we continue to walk, "Dad and mom keep to themselves mostly. Their estate is further away from other covens, and we don't care to socialize with them all that much," he pauses and sighs, "only my aunt and cousin visit and even then...dad doesn't like visits lasting all that long."

Odd family.

"Let me ask you this then..." we come closer to my dorm building, and I pause when someone passes by us on the pathway before continuing, "...why are you going to this school then if you're family enjoys the life of being a recluse?"

Rian nods and replies, "That's easy. Just because dad doesn't care much for the rest of the vampires that attempt to try and connect with our coven, doesn't mean he's not interested in me spending time getting to know other species."