⊰8⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 9

I said goodbye to everyone today.

Sitting in the back seat of Grandpa Keir's car, we leave the lodge far behind, the trees passing us by as I stare out the window.

A warmth fills me at the thought of last night, the voice that cradles me, held me as I fell asleep to remind me that I'm not truly alone in this world. It was beautiful and reminded me so much of the golden glow that would bathe me in its light those few times.

Who's Kev?

Grandpa Keir catches my gaze in the rearview mirror as he asks, "Did you have a good summer, Acacia?"

"Yeah, it was fun," I nod with a light smile, my gaze traveling back to the trees passing us by on the highway. It's a few minutes later that I finally ask, "Hey, Grandpa Keir?"

"Yes?" He asks, turning off the exit toward the road that will lead to my home.

"Do you know who Kev is?" I ask with curiosity. If he wanted me to tell daddy that he's safe, maybe he also knows Grandpa Keir.

He freezes at my words, his eyes narrowing on mine before he asks, "Where did you hear his name?"

"From someone who looks like daddy, only he's got these markings on him," I draw my gaze away again as I get excited...

...Ciarán is in the front yard playing catch with Dante.

Grandpa Keir pulls up and turns the engine off. I'm quick to open my door while he grabs my bag and backpack, Ciarán catching sight of me before a smile spreads on his face. He waves at me, and I'm overwhelmed with the way he sees me...it reminds me of when we were younger.

"Acacia!" Ciarán is quick to run at me while I squeal excitedly the second he wraps me in a hug, though it's not enough to hurt me. My eyes are wide when he pulls away, and he grins, Dante walking closer as his eyes settle on me.

"Did you have a good summer little one?" Dante asks me, standing next to Ciarán as he also wraps me in a warm hug. Grandpa Keir walks closer, his and Dante's eyes meeting with one another once he pulls away from me.

I nod and say, "Uh-huh! It was a lot of fun."

"Dante," Grandpa Keir is quick to end this happy moment though as he nods in the direction of the castle doors, "I need to speak with you, Rose and Cormac."

Dante furrows his brows with confusion before he nods slightly and turns to me one last time before saying, "Ciarán has something to show you. Why don't the two of you go run off and play for awhile."

I glance at Ciarán who eyes me back before I say, "Okay!"

While Grandpa Keir and Dante go inside the castle, Ciarán motions for me to follow him. We walk around to the back of the grounds before I catch sight of one of the trees not apart of the forest. Just as my mouth remains slightly ajar, he says, "Daddies built a tree house for us," he pauses a moment as we walk closer to it, "I already filled it with some of the things we like to do."

"Whoa..." my voice trails off while Ciarán helps me up into the tree house. I glance around as he also pulls himself up. He sits there while my eyes trail over everything. There are drawings we did together when we were two, mama having kept them and I also see the game boards we use to play along with an older chess set.

After I've taken in everything Ciarán taps my shoulder, and I turn around, sitting cross-legged as he breathes out, "I'm sorry for how I've been treating you..." his voice trails off as his eyes glance away from mine.