⊰38⊱

@tekatuka found a quote that thought represented the novel:
"If you have been brutally broken but still have the courage to be gentle to other living beings, than you're a badass with a heart of an angel" By: Keanu Reeves

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 15

I...

...I screwed up.

Sitting on the couch in the library, tears still fall from my eyes, though my face is lowered and through teary eyes, I stare at my thighs. Dad is standing a few feet away in front of me, looking up slowly for a moment to see he has his arms crossed in front of his chest. His gaze is fixated on the door, a few seconds later...Dante and mom come through it.

My heart drops into my stomach, my gaze quickly falling once again. Small sniffles escape my slightly parted lips, hearing their footsteps drawing closer makes me sick to my stomach. They both come to stand near dad, not a single word having to be said from their lips as I'm sure their minds are like wildfire with communication.

Dante is the first to speak when he says, "Little one, you know we all love you, right?"

My head nods slowly, the tension continuing to grow and making me more uneasy. After what I just said...

"Why did you say..." mom's voice waivers for a moment before she asks, "...what you did to your father?"

"I..." my voice is hushed, barely above a whisper when I try to form the words I desperately want to say...

The recorded images on Mercury's phone flashes through my mind.

"Little love, please tell us what's going on," dad pursues my mom's lead, hoping for me to continue.

"I-I it-it's ju-" it's too hard for me...

"Uh...what's going on?" I hear Ciarán's voice from the door, my gaze shifting to see him before I quickly avert my eyes once more.

Dante tells him firmly, "Ciarán, we're discussing something right now."

"Acacia?" My brother's voice holds so much concern, hearing him walk a few feet into the library while asking, "What's wrong? What happened? Is she okay?" The questions fire off from his mouth quicker than I'd expect.

Mom releases a sigh and says, "Ciarán...please leave-"

"What's going on?" His voice raises slightly, almost challenging mom's but he does halt his footsteps.

"Acacia?" Dad asks again, hearing so many voices penetrating through my skull begins to become too much. My headaches as I grit my teeth, feeling a very slight tug at the corners of my mind, the purple hue just barely visible.

"Acacia, please tell us why you said that," Dante continues to push, just like mom and then dad again.

It breaks me...

My voice is loud when I scream, "Mercury!"

Silence casts a dark shadow over the library, and the only sound is my hiccuped sobs and my heavy breathing.

Ciarán is the first to ask, "What are you talking about?"

He's easily ignored and brushed off when dads and mom take a few steps toward me. Dad is the one to tell me, "Look at me."

Slowly, I tilt my chin upward, looking up as my eyes flicker from all of my parents. The one thing I do notice...

...all of their irises have shifted.