Chapter 3: Fishing

As the Lamb entered Midas’s cave, a chill ran down their spine. The golden statues scattered throughout the cave seemed to come alive, their eyes following the Lamb's every move. The Lamb called out, "Midas!?" Their voice echoed, bouncing off the walls and the golden figures. "I would like to make a gamble! You here?"

From the shadows, a voice responded, "Right here!" Midas appeared, jumping up out of the ground.

Startled, the Lamb jumped back, "Oh! Ok...there you are..."

"You want to make a gamble, you say? Ohh-hoho~ Perfect. To the well!" Midas beckoned, leading the Lamb to a grand well. "You know the drill. Toss in a few coins and see what fortune favors you with."

The Lamb walked over, drawing a few coins from their pouch and tossing them into the well. "Now we wait?" they asked.

"Now we wait," Midas replied, his eyes glinting with anticipation. "But while we wait, any chance you've got more followers for me? I have some more talisman pieces up for trade.~"

The Lamb sighed, "No, Midas, I’m not giving you one of my followers."

"Aww, why not? Don't you want to help me expand my collection? You have plenty of followers, don’t be stingy." Midas's voice took on a wheedling tone.

"Not giving you any," the Lamb restated firmly.

"Fine, fine, whatever. How’s the crown treating you? Any new abilities?" Midas asked.

"Not of late, no. Why?" the Lamb asked, narrowing their eyes.

"No reason, no reason. Just…curious," Midas replied, circling the Lamb. "Just remember, when you want more talisman pieces, you know where to find me."

"I know, Midas, I know," the Lamb said. "Well, I’ll see you later, Midas."

"Come back soon, Lamb~ Come... back... soon," Midas called after them, his voice lingering in the air like a haunting echo.

The Lamb hurried back to their cult, praying that all was well whike they were gone. To their relief, everything was intact. The Lamb headed to the missionary building where a follower awaited, battered and bruised.

"Leader! I'm sorry. I have failed, I'm horribly injured...but on my way back, I saw something—an eye, deep in the Darkwoods. It looked powerful. I thought you should know about it before I died," the follower gasped out before collapsing.

The Lamb sighed, lifting the follower’s body and carrying it to the medbay. There was always a chance they could be saved, but if not, a proper burial awaited them at the cemetery.

As the Lamb processed the follower’s words, realization dawned, their eyes widening. Leshy's eye had been found. A smile spread across their face as they rushed to find Narinder.

Narinder was nowhere to be found in the cult. Not in his home, nor the temple, not even at the cemetery where he sometimes sleeped. Yes, Narinder sometimes is in the cemetery, probably due to being the old god of death. He loved sleeping in the body pit. The Lamb never completely understood why.

If Narinder wasn’t in the cult, there was only one other place he could be: Pilgrim’s Passage.

Whenthey got there, they quickly spotted that black cat with a grumpy face, sitting at the dock, fishing rod in hand.

"Nari!~" the Lamb called. The cat's grip on the pole tightened, but he didn’t turn around.

"What do you want, damned Lamb?" Narinder's voice was a low growl.

"What are you doing?" the Lamb asked, tilting their head.

"Fishing. Can’t I do that in peace?" Narinder snapped.

"Nope!~ I like annoying you~" The Lamb plopped down beside him. "You should cast further... more fish that way."

"I don’t need your help," Narinder grumbled. Just then, he felt a tug and he reeled in his catch, only to find it was a card. He sighed, handing it to the Lamb. "You use these, right? I have no use for it."

The Lamb's eyes lit up as they took the card. "A tarot card! Great!" They placed it into their book and sighed, "Thanks..."

Narinder stayed silent.

The Lamb slowly leaned their head on Narinder’s shoulder, causing him to flinch but gradually relax into the touch.

"Ohh~ Nari liking this?~" The Lamb teased.

"Shut up, Lamb. I’m calm right now," Narinder growled softly.

The Lamb giggled, "Oh, by the way, a scout found Leshy’s eye...you know what that means..."

Narinder stiffened, his growl deepening. "Oh, you've got to be shitting me..."