Chapter 16

Drishti's POV

"Chikoo, I'm dead tired!" Lucky exclaimed as we stumbled into the house, leaning on each other for support like a pair of drunkards.

"Seriously. I can't even feel my fingers." I groaned, collapsing onto the sofa beside Lucky.

"What on earth did you two do to look so exhausted?" Ammamma asked, observing us from across the room.

"Nothing, Ammamma. We're actually working on a campaign against politicians." I explained quickly, sitting up straight.

"A campaign? What does that mean?" Ammamma asked, her curiosity piqued but still a bit suspicious on us.

"Well, it involves investigating things like corruption or dishonesty among politicians and then reporting on it to the public. To keep them in check and make sure they're working for the people." Lucky elaborated. "It's all about making sure our leaders are held accountable for their actions and that people know what's really going on in politics."

"You guys are really doing well. I'm proud of both of you." Anil uncle remarked, entering the living room, earning smiles from both of us.

"Dinner's ready. Eat up and go to sleep." Ammamma suggested.

"No ammamma, we had food at the party- ouch!" Lucky intervened quickly, giving me a nudge.

"We grabbed something on the way. I'm heading to bed now. Goodnight, Uncle, Ammamma," Lucky said hastily.

"Chikoo, let's get you to bed. You seem a bit out of it." He said through a tight smile, clearly eager to leave the room.

****

Tarun's POV

Sitting in front of dadu, who looked dead serious, I faced the consequences of my actions of ignoring their calls. Everyone was furious with me, and I felt like a criminal.

"I told you I'm sorry." I pleaded.

"Okay, but on one condition. You're going on a date with Drishti. Deal?" Mom proposed.

Now I was stuck in a pickle. Drishti, the girl I barely knew, was suddenly my ticket out of trouble. Reluctantly, I agreed to my mom's condition, hoping it would ease the tension.

"Okay then, let me call her." My mom sounded excited, like a kid in a candy store. Dadu and Dad, who were shooting daggers at me with their eyes just moments ago, now seemed equally thrilled.

"Why isn't she picking up?" Mom muttered, her brows furrowing in confusion.

She tried again and put the phone on speaker.

Tring...Tring...

I hoped she wouldn't answer, but my hopes were dashed.

"Hellooo..." We heard a groggy voice. Mom, dad and dadu exchanged amused glances, struggling to stifle their laughter. I failed to see what was so funny; she was clearly still asleep. It was already 10.

"Drishti beta, were you sleeping? Did I disturb you?" Mom asked, her tone unusually gentle. She was never this sweet when either Jai or I were late in the morning.

"Obviously! Yesterday I stayed up late reading that stupid book which I couldn't figure out. And that idiot partner of mine didn't even show up to help. I had almost solved the puzzle in that book. But you called me." Drishti complained, her annoyance evident. Either she was still in her dreamy state or perhaps lacking respect for her elders.

"Don't worry beta. Once you're here after marriage, I'll be your partner." Mom replied patiently, as if she were talking to a child.

"You're so sweet. Did the angels send you to help me?"