Chapter 13

Tarun's POV

"Boss! Chairman (Tarun's dad) called. He told me to take you back to Mangalore as soon as possible and that he knows you are done with your work here." I heard my PA say as he entered my cabin without knocking.

"What did I tell you about coming inside my cabin?" I asked, ignoring his previous question.

"Oops! Sorry, boss. Next time I'll knock before entering. This was urgent." He said, biting his tongue.

"If you forget such simple things, you can't work for me. Get out now." I said, my patience wearing thin because of him. Despite how much he annoys me, but I have no choice but to tolerate him.

"But boss, shall I book the flight for today? Chairman was really serious this time. My job is in danger. I know you need me." He sounded desperate.

"No, I don't need you. And tell him we are leaving tomorrow." I said coldly, gazing back at the file I was studying earlier. I was not able to concentrate anymore.

Dadu had been pestering me for almost 6 months about my marriage. My family wants me to get settled in my life. But how can I? I still can't forget her.

I had a perfect life a year back. But now everything I had feels like a dream. My parents and Dadu, who supported me in everything, and the person whom I thought I would marry. Because that's what our family said from when we were kids.

Maya, granddaughter of my Dadu's PA. Their family was like a family to us. We were best friends. We went to the same school and college. Then, I went abroad for 3 years to finish my MBA and internship. I had missed her so much in those 3 years. That's when I decided to propose to her and keep her with me forever.

I was very happy to see her after I came back from London. But, I had the responsibility of our business as well. I had to start from scratch even if it was our own company. Dadu and Dad told me to work hard for the seat. They did not want me to take everything for granted. They both worked really hard to get our company in this position today. Even I wanted to stand on my own feet before proposing to Maya. That's why I waited for another 2 years to tell her my feelings. She was also busy building her own career. She wanted to be a fashion designer. She had gone abroad for her internship. We were still in touch. We both missed each other so much.

Finally, after 2 years of waiting, she came back. I took the courage to propose to her. That day was one of the best days of my life. She accepted my love. I was the happiest man alive. We were happy in our small little world. We dated for almost 1 and a half years. But my dream castle, which I built with her, was destroyed when she told me that her parents arranged her marriage to someone. I begged them not to separate us.

Flashback (3 years back)

"What happened, Maya? Why did you call me here instead of our usual spot?" I asked as soon as I reached the spot where I had proposed to her. It was a hilly area from where we could see the mesmerizing view of the city at night.

"Forget me, Tarun." Maya said without any expression on her face.

"What? Maya... Okay! Did I forget something? Some special day. It's not your birthday... The day I proposed to you was 5 months back. Then what else? I can't remember anything. Really sorry, baby. Please tell me what day it is today. I won't forget-"

"I said to forget me, Tarun. It's nothing special today. But we are breaking up. My parents have arranged my marriage to someone. And I don't want to reject them. That's why we should end this here." She shouted.

"Maya... No... I will speak to Uncle and Aunty. Aunty likes me a lot. And when we were kids, she used to tell me that she wants me to be her son-in-law. Don't worry. I will talk to her." I said, trying to console her.

"Tarun, you will do no such thing. Try to understand. We are over. You need to forget me and move on. You will find a better girl than me. Good luck and goodbye." She said, walking away from me.

1 month later

"Aunty, please let me meet her once. She is not even picking up my calls." I said, desperate to see Maya at least once. I missed her more than I had missed her all those years when we were far from each other.

"She doesn't want to see you, Tarun. Why can't you understand? Please don't disturb her life." Aunty said, stopping me from going inside the house.

"Aunty... Uncle... please listen to me once. I will keep Maya happy. Please stop this marriage." I said, trying to stop myself from crying. I couldn't even imagine how I would live without her. "Aunty, do you remember? You told me that I could marry your daughter once I'm a grown-up man. Why are you doing this to us, aunty? Why did you even arrange her marriage with someone else?" I tried convincing them.

"Tarun, you are just an employee in your dad's company. But he owns a hospital. He is a doctor himself. And even his father owns many hotels. He will look after her very well. You want her to be happy, right? It will happen only if you stop calling her again and again. So please leave her alone. You will forget her eventually." Aunty said.

"What about her, aunty?" I asked her.

"Don't worry about her. Shreyas will keep her happy. And I'm just telling you this. He took her out for a date. And also to meet his friends." She said happily.

If she is happy, then I will forget her. Right. That's what Maya had said. I once again looked towards her room. I wished it all to be a long dream. I was trying to figure out where I went wrong in this relationship for the past month. And today I took the courage to meet her again. But I guess she is already moving on from me. I don't want to disturb her again. Okay. If that's what she wants, I will leave her alone. But she can't force me to forget her. That's my choice.

End of flashback

My family had no clue about what was happening in my life. They were all very happy when I told them about Maya and me after I proposed to her. They were even planning to ask for her hand after I became the CEO. But God had different plans.

They only found out about her marriage when they received the wedding invitation. After that, nobody brought up the topic of Maya or her family in front of me, and I was thankful for that.

Soon after, I was appointed as the CEO of our company, and I immersed myself in work to distract myself from my past. My family became my backbone. It was only because of them, constantly supporting and trusting me, that I was able to reach this position.

I know I wasn't the only one suffering inside. Even though it's late, I need to understand that everyone in my family suffered with me. They didn't show it openly. I used to run away whenever there was talk of my marriage. But now, I've decided not to run away anymore. If I can't be happy, why should my family have to suffer? That's why I agreed when Dadu asked for my opinion about the marriage.

But now I'm scared. Will I be able to marry someone who isn't Maya?

~~~~~