Chapter 12

Drishti's POV

"Coco, can you slow down time? It's running really, really fast today. It's already 10. They'll be here any minute now. What should I do?" I had been speaking to a clueless Coco for the past 15 minutes, who was lying on my lap like a baby and staring at me, making faces. I lifted him to hug him, unable to bear his cuteness. I wanted to bite him so bad.

"Cooco... My Coco, say something na..." I said, rocking him back and forth like a baby.

"Woof...woof..."

"Okay, fine, I will stop now." I said, as he started licking my face to stop me from talking anymore. And then he jumped out of my hold, running out of my room.

Just then, I heard the sound of a car from outside, and Navya barged into the room.

"You know, Navi, I just had a déjà vu kind of feeling. Ask me why?" I said, waggling my eyebrows, to which she asked with a confused 'why'.

"Did you see Coco on your way in?"

"Haan" she replied, still confused.

"The way he went out and you came in was exactly the same. It was so funny—like ditto!" I said, trying to control myself. But I burst out laughing, looking at her expressions, which changed from confused to imagining, realizing, and then to angry. And then she too started laughing.

"Oh, God, Navi! What did I tell you, and what are you doing? I told you to call Chikoo down, not to act mad like this." Seema aunty scolded, hitting Navya's head.

We both looked at each other, trying to control ourselves from laughing. But it was the wrong move from both of our sides. Because as soon as our eyes met, we again burst into another round of laughter.

"Okay, stop it, both of you. And Chikoo, let's go." Seema aunty said.

"Where, aunty?" I asked, confused.

"Didi, they are here." Navi said in a hushed tone, as though someone would hear us.

"Who?" I replied in the same tone.

"Who who? Your supposed sasural people." She continued in the same tone.

"Ooo...What? Why?" I shouted after realizing what she meant.

"You both are unbelievable. Why are you both acting like you are planning a murder, speaking in that tone? Chikoo, come with me." Seema aunty said in a tone that conveyed she was done with both of us.

"Give me a minute, aunty." I said, sprinting into the bathroom to wash my face because Coco had licked it, making me feel sticky. I then pat dried my face and applied a small bindi and lip gloss.

"Let's go now." Aunty smiled, looking at me and started walking after taking away buri nazar (evil eyes) on me by cracking her knuckles.

Oh, God. What should I do? What should I do? Please, God, let's fast forward to tomorrow. How good it would be if I had a remote for my life so I could fast forward or go back to change something from the past. But then, even time machines do the same thing, nah, Chikoo? Yeah, but this 'remote of my life' is a whole different idea, right? Wah! Chikoo. Wahh! You have such a big brain. Chikoo, concentrate. Now, the main topic of discussion here was about your supposed sasural... Omg! omg! What should I do now? I'm so nervous. Why am I nervous? Cool, Chikoo. It's not like you have to impress them by showing your talent. Dada told me that they are modern-minded people. So, I don't think they will ask to dance or sing. But even if they are not modern-minded, who in this century will demand that? Forget it. Cool, Chikoo. Cool.

We had already reached the main hall, which I hadn't even noticed because of the round-table conference I was having inside my head. I scanned the hall to see each pair of eyes staring at me as if I were some kind of endangered species. There were four new faces in the hall.