Chapter 15

Drishti's POV

"Why on earth did you open this room in the first place? People are everywhere! What if someone else walked in? Keep this storeroom locked until the wedding is finished. Lock the door immediately!" The man exclaimed upon seeing another person entering. After scanning the room again, they both exited.

Oh no! If he locks the door, how am I supposed to get out? I can't make a move without being noticed now. I should inform Lucky.

"Lucky, they are planning to lock the door from outside. Stall for time until I escape." In a hurried whisper, I inform Lucky.

"What? Why? Okay, just be quick." He replied tensed.

Slowly, I stood up and made my way out, ensuring they both had left the room. As I approached the door, I could hear Lucky's voice from a distance.

"I'm from the event management team. This door looks quite old. I was thinking, if you could lock it, we could add some decorations to blend it in." Lucky suggested.

"Do whatever you want. It's your job. I'm going to lock it now." The man replied impatiently.

"Okay, sir. Thank you. By the way, who was that person who left just before you?" Lucky inquired, trying to keep the man engaged.

"Why? Go do your work instead of irritating me here. What the hell do you even want?" The man retorted with a tone that revealed how much Lucky had irritated him.

Peeking through the door, I noticed the man talking to Lucky, his back to me. Just as I was about to step out, he suddenly turned back towards the door, dismissing Lucky. With no other choice, I quickly retreated back inside. Explaining my presence there was impossible; I would surely be caught. Yet, remaining stuck inside wasn't an option either-it would only raise more suspicion.

The clinking sound of the keys outside hinted the man securing the door. A feeling of helplessness engulfed me. Lucky's desperate screams reached my ears, urging the man to check if anyone was stuck inside. The situation escalated, leaving me trapped in a locked room with no clear way out.

"Chikoo, are you alright? We'll find a way out, okay? Don't worry." Lucky comforted me over the earpiece.

"Uh-huh." I responded, projecting strength to prevent him from worrying.

"Alright focus. Can you spot any other doors or windows?" Lucky's calm voice echoed.

I frantically searched every corner. It seemed impossible for another exit to exist. The fear of being caught by those men or, worse, being trapped here until the marriage functions end intensified.

I've been searching every corner of these rooms for the past 30 minutes, but I still can't find a way out. I'm feeling exhausted, and my hunger is making things even worse. The clock in my watch ticks past 2 o'clock, heightening my desperation to find an escape route.

Just as I was on the edge of giving up, a glimmer of light teased through the orderly aligned shelves. Carefully shifting them, I unveiled a small window- my ticket to escape.

"Eureka! Head towards the far end from the main gate." I exclaimed in joy, into the microphone.

I felt a wave of relief washing over me after the tension that consumed me just moments ago. I never imagined I'd leave this place without getting caught. Thank you, Bappa, for guiding me and showing me the way out.

"Thank god! I'm on my way. Give me 5 minutes." Lucky replied promptly.

I decided to wait for Lucky. I didn't want to risk getting caught by someone. It might raise a lot of suspicion. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

"Thank godness you found this. I was clueless about how to get you out of here. Hurry, time's short." Lucky said upon reaching.

As I dangled out of the window, the event manager caught sight of us, his eyes widening in surprise.

"What on earth is going on here? What are you two doing?" He questioned.

Fortunately, Lucky was quick on his feet with a reply. "We were checking the venue's security. It seemed a bit old, and we wanted to ensure it's safe for guests to move around." He explained.

"Yes, just ensuring everything runs smoothly for the event. No need to worry, sir." I added nodding my head.

Our eyes met, and suddenly, Lucky burst into an odd fit of laughter.

"What?" The manager raised an eyebrow, clearly puzzled by our strange behavior.

"Sir, we were just checking if the windows could handle a 'hanging tough' test. Good news-they passed with flying colors!" Lucky said with a broad grin.

"Now, if you two are finished with your nonsense, you can come for lunch. I don't know where Krishna found you both." he said, shaking his head before walking away.

****

Tarun's POV

"Seriously, Aakash! Remember the plan? You were supposed to make an excuse to dad, not book me on the next flight to Mangalore! Guess what? I'm not going. End of story." I sighed, shooting daggers at my friend turned PA.

"I had no choice. Dadu called, and waiting for your approval would've taken forever. So, as your 'stuck-in-a-bind' trusty sidekick, I took matters into my own hands." He explained, a hint of mischief in his eyes.

"Sometimes I wonder how we even became friends." I muttered, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Don't worry, I'll remind you another time." He said jokingly as he settled beside me on the bed.

"Tarun, I understand your fear of commitments after what you've been through. But not every girl is like her. Give life a chance. Go with the flow." He said, giving me a comforting side hug.

His words only reminded me of the pain I'd worked so hard to bury. 'Going with the flow' sounded like a plan designed for people who hadn't had their hearts dragged through the mud.

"Tarun, trust me, I wouldn't push you if I didn't believe this could be something good. Plus, dadu is over the moon about this. When was the last time you saw him this happy?" He persisted.

His words resonated deeply with me. "I get it. Dadu finds happiness in the friendship that will eventually become a family bond. It's not merely about uniting two families. It's about respecting the bond that has stood strong through time. I feel the burden of their friendship resting on my shoulders. One misstep and everything could crumble." I sighed, feeling the gravity of generations pressing down on me. "Okay, fine. I'll go to Mangalore. But I'm doing it for Dadu."

"Exactly! Who knows, you might actually like her once you get to know her." He said with a triumphant grin.

I wasn't sure if I could open my heart to anyone other than Maya. Yet, for some reason, the notion brought a sense of solace.

.
.
.

With a deep breath, I boarded the flight to Mangalore, wondering what the future held in store for me. The thought of leaving my past behind and embracing a new life filled me with uncertainty. Marrying the girl for my family's sake was my only option, but I couldn't shake the worry about how it would affect her. And as the plane took off, leaving Mumbai behind, I hoped that maybe, just this once, going with the flow wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

~~~~

A/N: Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote.