[Chapter 28]

Waking up early was never Jake's strong suit, but even through his tiredness, he was still able to admire the beauty that surrounded him. He never realized how peaceful the morning could be, when you're not panicking about being late for school. Maybe this was what Dahyun was on about when she said to make the most of this experience, because he sure as hell wasn't going to wake up early to go on a hike when he gets back home.

What also helped energize him was his company. Heeseung was so easy to talk to, that he never really struggled to find something to say. At each conversation he learnt more about the red head, and his eagerness to keep learning grew more and more. They were currently talking about their plans for the future. 

"I'd rather work for myself." Heeseung says. He's about to continue when he hesitates, instead letting out an amused chuckle. "I mean it sounds a bit silly, but I always liked the idea of owning my own bakery or something."

"Oh I thought you'd wanna be a footballer, like the next Ronaldo or something." Jake replies, sounding slightly surprised. He just assumed that all the boys on the football team wanted to be professionals, isn't that why people play sports? Not like he would know, he's never been the athletic type.

Heeseung scoffs. "Please, I'd totally be the next Messi, he's the goat." 

"Well him then..." Jake trails off, rubbing his nape awkwardly. He felt kinda embarrassed because he didn't even know who Heeseung was talking about. "Anyway, I think you'd look cute working in a bakery." 

"Would I?" Heeseung smirks as Jake darts his gaze away, clearly trying to hide his blush. "That's it, I'll open a bakery then, but you've gotta promise to be my first customer. What's your favorite sweet thing? I'll make sure I have lots of it in stock."

"I'm more of a savory person."

"Is that your way of saying you won't come huh?" Heeseung crosses his arms, and gets all pouty.

Who knew the most popular boy in school could be so adorable? Jake lets out a giggle and pinches the boys cheek. "No, I'm saying you better have savory options, okay?"

"Okay." Heeseung chuckles, feeling all fluttery in his stomach. He liked when Jake touched him, it showed that he was getting comfortable. "So what about you? What are you gonna do after school?"

Jake hums in thought, really taking the moment to think about his answer. "I don't know what I wanna do for the future, so I'll probably just go to whatever university Sunoo and Sunghoon go to, cause obviously they'll go to the same one." 

"What you study is important though; more than where your friends are going." Heeseung's comment sounded a little dismissive of Jake's choice, but it came from a place of care.

"I have my whole life to figure out what I want to do, but spending time with my friends will get harder as we get older. So I'm not gonna waste anytime." Jake replies confidently. 

Heeseung was actually quite impressed by that answer. Jake was really such a sentimental person. 

"Ooh has my nephew got himself a boyfriend?" 

Jake's good mood disappears in an instant, as his aunt comes bounding over, with the biggest smile on her face. Instinctively, he looks over to Heeseung, thinking the boy would be embarrassed, but he actually seemed happy?

"Finally, I spent too many nights wondering when someone was going to come along and love my little dorky nephew!" She chimes, way louder than Jake would have liked. She turns her attention to the red head beside him. "You're very lucky to have him! He's a very caring person, and he's funny, and helpful, really the list goes on!"

Suddenly Jake grabs her arm, and pulls her to the side. "Stop please!" He whisper yells.

"Don't get mad at me!" She raises her voice, only making Jake more agitated. He didn't need all his classmates to hear him get scolded by his aunt. "Your boyfriend should know how amazing you are-"

"He's not my boyfriend!" He interrupts, again in a whisper. "Just leave me alone please!" 

"Fine, if that's what you want." She snaps, sounding offended. "I'll go on a hike all on my own, so I don't annoy you anymore." She adds, before walking back over to Heeseung. "My nephew is very sensitive, if you ever hurt him, I'll ruin your life." 

"Noted." Heeseung responds with all seriousness.

The woman nods, turning back to her nephew, huffing as she walks past him, heading off on her own into the woods.

____

"Also before you ask, no Rei either."

Who knew a few simple words could upset Rei this much? I mean, she never gets invited to parties anyway, and she was used to people not liking her. In the past, it didn't affect her much, because firstly, she understood why they wouldn't, and secondly, she was too busy to care. Unfortunately, now I've got the gossip re branded, she wasn't constantly stalking her peers, which gave her more time to feel insecure about these things.

She knew she shouldn't crave their praise, but after the capture the flag game, she thought that maybe, just maybe...she had made a few new friends. However, just like everyone at Upper Side Academy, they still viewed her as an extension of Jiwon. Were they wrong though? The whole reason she even knew about that conversation, was because Jiwon had seen Gaeul and Jay whispering about something, so she told Rei to go spy on them.

Maybe this is what she deserved after years of exposing her peers personal dramas. Still, she wished for a chance to fit in [not like fitting into a locker, to spy on the boys conversations in the changing rooms] To spend one night not thinking about her future career in journalism, and actually have fun with people who accepted her. 

"Rei focus!" Jiwon snaps her fingers in the girls face, rolling her eyes as Rei awakes from her thoughts. "What's wrong with you?"

"Why don't you care that they didn't invite us?" Rei mutters.

"Why should I? One's in a dysfunctional relationship, and the other is hopelessly in love with her best friend. I don't need validation from them, they're jokes!" Jiwon rants, with no remorse, even laughing at the end of her sentence.

A question plagued Rei's mind: If she looks down on everyone else, how does she see me?

"I thought you were gonna change, but you're more horrible than you were before." Rei's voice gets louder as she speaks, filled with more confidence then she had ever had. This clearly throws off Jiwon, who's face twists into a look of confusion. "Sure I did the same shitty things that you did when I've got the gossip was still a gossip account, but I never thought I was a good person. You think you're some god, but no Jiwon, everyone hates you, and I'm starting to think I feel the same." 

"I don't care if everyone hates me." Jiwon hisses, crossing her arms in frustration, you could see a flicker of sadness in her eyes. "I-" She hesitates, before swallowing down the lump in her throat, and continuing. "I don't care if you hate me either."

Question answered.

"That's because you think you're better than them, and clearly, better than me." Rei states, her voice becoming shaking, and more emotional. This actually really hurt her. She could only expect more hurtful words to leave Jiwon's mouth, so before her heart could truly shatter, she walked away.

____ 

I wanna remind everyone to be kind to yourselves, and always show compassion to others. I really hope you can all find happiness, because it's what you deserve.

Enjoy the chapter🥰