28 | Truth

Aliyia

Zayden and I make our way downstairs, our arms linked. I guess we were the last ones because everyone was seated at the empty table. I unlink my arms with Zayden and sit beside Tate, Zayden sitting beside Lukas directly across from me.

My dad clears his throat before speaking. "So what's the surprise you kids have for us?" The four of us look at each other and smile before getting up to walk to the kitchen without saying a word.

It takes us about five minutes to make sure everything is heated up and warm before returning to the dining room. Zayden's mom's eyes widen and she covers her mouth with both of her hands. "Oh my God, you kids did this for us?"

Zayden grins and nods at her, setting down the rigatoni pasta while I set down the fettuccine pasta. Aurora doesn't seem impressed but I can see the little light in her eyes.

Lukas sets down the dishes and Tate sets down the appetizer. Lukas disappears for a moment and then returns with drinks. Champagne for the adults and soda for the rest of us.

"Oh wow, this is wonderful." My mom exclaims, clasping her hands together. I smile at her and then turn to look at Zayden who's already looking at me with his green and blue eyes. The most perfect eyes I've ever seen.

Zayden breaks eye contact first to look over at the adults who are pouring themselves a glass of champagne. "Feel free to dish as much as you want for yourself." He sounds so professional.

Summer immediately grabs a plate and starts dishing out the fettuccine pasta before placing two mozzarella sticks onto the plate as well.

A few minutes later, everyone has dished their food and is eating. "Wow, this is really good." Tate's mom tells us. Tate smiles at her and speaks. "Thanks, mom, I made that one." She points at the rigatoni pasta.

Something that hasn't popped up in my mind for a while finally does. Zayden and my mom. I think I should ask about it.

Should I?

I want to know. No, I need to know.

"Hey, mom" I pick at my food with my fork and look up at her. She answers with a "yes dear" before taking a bite from her pasta.

Here goes nothing. "Earlier you were going to tell me how you knew Zayden, could you tell me know?" I glance at Zayden to see him frozen in place.

"Oh, you don't know dear?" Zayden's mom looks at me with confusion written all over her face. Almost as if I'm stupid. "Know what?" I question, all eyes were on me now.

Except for Zayden who's intensely staring at his food.

My mom wipes her mouth with a napkin before looking at me. "Well I'm surprised you don't know but when you were little-" once again, she's cut off by Zayden.

"Do you really think we have to talk about this right now? How about we just enjoy this dinner instead." He sounds worried about something.

I look at him weirdly, he's hiding something. "Why do you keep interrupting her?" I refer to my mom, slightly raising my voice. He picks at his food before looking at me with dim eyes. "It's just that we don't need to talk about this right now."