08 | Cigarettes After Sex

Zayden

Zayden

Thursday and Friday flew by quickly. On both days I had studying sessions with Ali. Still haven't seen her smile.

Since we won that last game, we have a lot of free time on our hands. Our coach is letting us rest easy for two days.

It's currently Saturday and I'm sitting on my couch watching a marvel movie for the third time in a row today.

As much as I try to stray away from her, my mind just won't stop thinking about her. My mind is eager to see her smile.

Preferably one of the smiles from our childhood. Those were the cutest smiles I'd ever seen.

I have to see her.

I whip out my phone and began texting her contact, asking her if she was busy.

Not long after I get a response from her. "No, I'm free, why?" Was her response.

"Want to try out a diner? It's nearby and it would be a great experience for you to try it out" I text back quickly, eager for her answer.

My finger starts tapping on my knee without me realizing it. It takes her a moment to answer, but her chat bubble finally appears.

"sure what time?" was her response.

We chatted back and forth for a bit, discussing how to get there and what time and we settled on me picking her up at 5:30

❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎

At 5:25 I'm already at her house and parked at the side. I messaged her letting her know I'm outside and that she could come whenever she was ready.

Exactly five minutes later, she appears at her door away and looks like she's locking the door. I turn my attention to my phone lock screen to pretend like I didn't see her leave her house.

Ali comes up to the passenger window and knocks on it.

Once she settles in the car, I begin driving to the diner. "Do you want to play music?" I ask her, unlocking my phone.

Don't use your phone and drive!

"Sure, but what if you don't like my music?" she mumbles just loud enough for me to hear.

"It's fine, play whatever you want it's all yours" I reassure her.

She grabs the phone from my hand and begins to type through my Apple Music. The song apocalypse by cigarettes after sex starts to play. Fuck I love this song.

I felt an urge to just sing so that's exactly what I did. "You leapt from crumbling bridges Watching cityscapes turn to dust."

Ali shifts her head to face me and I can see her expression change. She must've been shocked that I know this song, or that I'm singing along to it.

My lips curved up into a smile as I began to sing the next lyrics. "Filming helicopters crashing In the ocean from way above"

"Got the music in you, baby Tell me why" Ali began to sing.

Her voice was very angelic. She sounded like a famous musician but way better. The sound of her singing kept replaying in my head as she continued with the rest of the lyrics.

Somehow, Ali struck him with her voice. Focus on the road he thought almost drifting away from the driving.

We continued to sing the lyrics as we pulled up at the diner. Hearing her angelic voice made me feel things. It was just so perfect, I just want to hear it again.

❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎

As we sat in the diner enjoying the warm food placed in front of us, my mind went straight to the moment in the car when she started singing. I want to know more about if she wants to sing in the future because she definitely should. She has the voice of an angel. Not just singing, her voice is just angelic in general.

"Have you ever thought of being a singer?" I ask her, dipping my fry in my milkshake and plopping it in my mouth.

She nods, forcing a smile. "Yeah, it's my dream"

The smile on my face slightly faded when I realized she used a fake smile. Planting the smile back on my face, I respond.

"You should be a singer or musician, your voice is angelic and perfect," I say, studying her expression.

"Should I?" she repositions herself in her seat.

"Yeah, I'd be your first fan and your number one fan" I joke with a little bit of seriousness in my tone. I wasn't exactly lying. If she did become a singer or anything I would undyingly be her number one fan.

Suddenly, the thing I'd been waiting for appeared. Ali's gaze softened and a smile worked its way up to touch the corners of her mouth.

A real smile.

I held a huge smile on my face as my eyes twinkled. I was relieved. I finally got to see her real smile. Ali had dimples too, I didn't think it was possible for a person to get more cuter than they already are.

This is a smile I had to absorb quickly because just as it came it disappeared in the blink of an eye. Her smile disappearing didn't make me drop my smile. Instead, I kept the same smile.

It was a smile of joy, satisfaction, and relief.

"You finally learned to smile again" I let out, my gaze never drifting from her.

"Again?" she questions, taking a sip of her chocolate milkshake.

"Never mind" I mumble, keeping the same pleased smile planted on my face.

Finally.

❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎❤︎︎
Authors Note

OMG SHE FINALLY SMILED

Ugh I love them so much and I just want them to kiss but I want this to be a slow burn but I'm also way too impatient for that😠

Let me know things to add to make this better🙈🙈

A somewhat cute chapter for u guys🤗💐