chapter 4

The other day, in school Kandis parked her bicycle and saw Callen near his bike. A boy came out of the car, Callen looked up to that boy and they walked together inside the school. Kandis ignored them and went inside. She was walking inside the corridor and someone shouted "boom"

"You want me to get scared with that little boom? " Kandis asked with no expression.

"Boom, boom" eric mumbled in a low voice and added in a cute little voice " well, at least try acting as if you are scared, at least for one time". Kandis gave a smirk, " oh my - who was that! " Kandis pretended to be scared with an expressionless face. "Forget it !! "  Eric muttered.

Eric and Kandis both entered the room and saw Callen with that new boy. Callen ignored Kandis and Kandis did the same too and sat at the seat beside them in the next row.

The class started and the teacher asked everyone to keep their phones away. In the middle of class Kandis listened to some whispers and saw it was Callen and the new boy, she never saw Callen being so talkative, she looked away and focused on the teacher.

Soon after a while the teacher was irritated by the whisper and told the new boy to go sit beside Kandis.

"I hope this new puppy could get a little more serious about studies !! ". The teacher said as he sat next to Kandis. Everyone started laughing while Kandis turned her eyes from the boy to Callen, she could clearly see him being embarrassed, she looked down to her book and gave a small laugh without making much noise.

'Hey, I am Finn you can call me Jett !!" Said that new boy.

" Well, I am Kandis and you can call me Kandis ", Kandis said awkwardly making a weird confused face.
Finn chuckled and asked, " what do your parents do because this school actually accepts students from prestigious families ".

"You still have a wish to get punished on your first day right!", Kandis replied.

" Ohh you might not be much talkative ". Finn said while Kandis ignored him.

The class was over and Callen came up to Finn and said " where are you going now?

" Did you make sure that we have same classes together? ".

Kandis turned her head and squeezed her eyes in confusion, trying to get their talk. She couldn't control her curiosity so she asked

" why would you both have the same classes? It has never been an option for any of other students in the whole school ",

The instant she opened her mouth she regretted it.

"Well, we used to go to the same school before Callen transferred here, he used to be my bodyguard as I was bullied there and I used to help him with calculus", Finn chuckles.

Kandis wasn't satisfied with his excuse, it didn't make sense. Her school is very strict with rules.

"Well, that makes sense calculus might be hard for someone who talks between classes ". Kandis said sarcastically.

Callen ignored her again. 

                       ..........

Kandis was seating on the chair in the library with her hands crossed, missing her uncle. She controlled her tears while her eyes got red.

"Hey, what's going on in your mind ", Finn asked coming towards kat's seat.

Kandis turned and replied "nothing, why are you here? for getting notes that you missed in class ?". She raised her eyebrows in question.

"Not really, I was just roaming around ". Finn said and sat on the chair beside Kandis.

Callen sat beside him and stared at her for a while.

"What !", Kandis asked Callen

Callen looks away while Finn was trying to understand the situation.

"Were you crying ?!! What happened ! ", Finn asked in a concerned manner.

Kandis looked at him for a moment, he raised an eyebrow. A few seconds passed, in which the words hung in the air between them, the image of Mr. Ducas ran through her mind, the words tumbled away as she got up from her seat.

"None whatsoever ", she said

Finn looked down to Callen before falling into step with her

"Alright, we will stick with that answer then ". Finn said.

Kandis gave a small smile. They walked out of the library and were in the crowd in the corridor Kandis looked over at Callen, his gaze focused on the crowd moving from face to face, his eye never still.

"So Callen, you get Olivia's number or you merely raise a finger and she will come running?" she asked.

"Do you know how to have a normal conversation With people", he asked in an even tone

"No, but I figure I'll learn by trial and error ",

"No doubt you have had More error than anything

", he said.

Kandis gave him a wide smile

"Careful! you don't talk too loud Callen, some girl might hear you and think you were flirting with me, and then we both be in the trouble", Kandis said.

Callen's face remained expressionless and Kandis laughed as she stepped inside the classroom. Mr. Philips looked up as they enter and nodded to them.

"Finn, can we have a word ", Mr. Philip asked.

Finn nodded. Kandis took a seat and watched as Mr.Philips talked to Finn, his eyes studying. She leaned forward, her forehead creased as she observed the exchange of words. Finn nodded and walked away, taking a seat beside Callen and at the exact back seat of Kandis. Kandis turned and asked " what did he want ?",

Finn raised his eyebrows in surprise

" You didn't read our lips?  Callen told me you are intelligent and observable",
She looked towards Callen and he looked away.

She gave him a flat look.

"I read his lips but not yours, genius", Kandis said

Finn laughed, the sound carefree. "Really? You can do that? ".

Kandis shrugged " it's a work in progress. So, what did he want? ".

"It was nothing, just some notes or other which I missed ."

The bell rang bringing the last rush of students

"Class before we get started ", Mr. Philips said

"I want to remind you that this Friday we are visiting the national history museum, the paper you write on the topic of artifacts and their importance in our history will be a big piece of your grade, so make sure you are there."