chapter 2

Kandis took out her bike from parking. She saw Eric walking towards her, a smile appeared on her face "hop-on"
He gave a sheepish smile and quickly sat back.

"I heard it, from my mom," Eric said. Kandis tensed. Does that mean he talked with Mrs. Ducas? Maybe.

"How are you doing without him? Are you okay?" Eric asked in a soft voice.

"I knew something was wrong with him, he was kind of avoiding me since a few days," Kandis shrugged.

Eric got the hint and ended the conversation there.

"Okay, here you go," she said smiling, trying her best not to show how vulnerable she was feeling after the conversation. But she knew this is the reality and she has to face it.

Eric smiled and got off the bike as Kandis watched him go inside the house.

---------------------------------------------------------

She opened the door of the apartment, the silence was still the same as it was in morning but she noticed her house cleaner than before . There were no clothes thrown on sofa, no night socks lingering on the floor, the dishes she used for breakfast were washed and all the house looked neat.

Just as she was scurrying through the hall, a lady came out of Kandis' room with a vacuum cleaner in her hand.

"Oh, hi there kat," Nora said.

Kandis smiled, " I shouldn't have given you the spare key, I told you not to do this stuff! It makes me feel like I do all the mess and you are supposed to clean it. And honestly, I don't really care now, how my house looks." She mumbled the last part but Nora heard it.

"My house? I am wondering if it is really yours? " Nora teased

Kandis chuckled and replied, " let's say it's yours then because he trusted you and left this place to you,"

"I feel quite odd, he never looked like he trusted me," Nora said.

"He won't care even if you just leave me and use this place for your own use, it's just sufficient for him that he did something before leaving,"  Kandis said but she didn't look tense or sad talking about Mr. Ducas.

" Kat, he is not like - " before Nora could reply Kandis cut her off.

" be with me, I find it easy with you,"

Nora came close to her and hugged her.

" Trust me, I was younger than your dad and his junior, but besides work we both were good friends. He trusted me to leave you to me, you can trust me, I won't leave you,"

Nora changed the topic and said
" wanna have some fun today? Let's go out for dinner tonight, I am bored having dinner at home,"

Kandis smiled gave a nod saying yes.

While they were on the way to go to the nearest restaurant Nora observed that the street lights were off, Kandis saw Nora being uncomfortable " don't worry, I am here if anything goes wrong," Nora smiled and Kandis winked at her.

Kandis didn't feel right, it was extremely silent. The neighborhood has never been this silent nor the street lights have ever been off but it can be ignored if any type of work is going on.

" Nora, did you get any notice about any work or something about why street lights might be off ? ".

Nora looked at Kandis and shook her head. Kandis gave a nod and before she could think about any of this they heard a cry. Kandis found it strange, while Nora's immediate respond was to walktowards where the voice was coming from.

They passed a narrow way and found a small boy running towards them. He looked 7-8 years old. That boy came towards them and hid behind them. While Nora was looking at the boy Kandis saw a man who was running after the boy, seeing Kandis that man started running in the opposite direction. Kandis ran after him and Nora had her eye on Kandis, following her, she saw Kandis kicking that man and making him fall to the ground. But he managed to stand on his legs again, he tried giving her a punch but she stopped it from her hand and twisted it to his back, making him kneel down.

One hand of her was on the twisted hand and another hand was on the neck of that man from behind. Suddenly Nora shouted, " kat ! Careful, at your back". She turned and saw a man with a steel rod in his hand but it was too late for her to respond to the situation, he targeted his rod and swung it but someone got in the middle and stopped the rod to hit Kandis by his hand. Kandis didn't leave the person who was In her hand nor did she leave eye contact with the person who had a steel rod, she had no fear of getting hurt. Her eyes turned to the person who saved her, her eyebrows moved up as she saw someone familiar.