Always Ice-cream

"-All I'm saying is you two seemed awfully 'friendly' to just be a friend of yours" Rossi laughed at Morgan's eyeroll as he sat in the police station flicking through the files for the week.

"And all I'm saying is that she is just my friend."

"A friend who is seriously gorgeous by the way" Emily added as she read through her files for the case that was beginning to look like it would take more than the usual week to complete with how confusing it was getting.

"That's the deception of Darling Dawson; she looks like an angel but bites like a demon" Morgan teased, sliding the file over to Doctor Spencer Reid- the youngest agent on the team.

"So she's bitten you then eh?" Emily wiggled her eyebrows at him.

"Not in the way you're thinking" Morgan laughed, "she had quite a temper in High school and loved to get into fights she couldn't handle when I got to college and she visited me, but given her short-ass she had to resort to biting as an attack."

"And this is the way you speak of your childhood best friend?" Rossi raised an eyebrow at him, "why haven't we heard of her before by the way?"

"We lost touch a few years ago and work is so hectic all the time, we just haven't been able to keep in touch as much as I'd like to" Morgan half told the truth.

His work had gotten in the way of his friendship with Darling; a girl he reluctantly became friends with in their freshman year of high school after finding her trying to square up to a group of guys far bigger and stronger than her, going to step in to help her but she accidentally threw a punch at him and surprisingly broke his nose- their first real conversation being when she drove him to the ER despite her being far too young to drive, two hours of sitting in the ER waiting room later Morgan decided that he either had to become friends with this girl or mortal enemies with how alike they were and how amusing her intensely southern bubbly and overly friendly personality was.

But if he was honest, he knew that his busy work schedule wasn't the main reason that they didn't talk as much anymore- in fact, there was another reason that he himself wouldn't even admit and it had a lot to do with the diner that he, Rossi and Emily dropped her off at.

"You said that she has a day job- does she work nights at that diner? What diner opens that late anyway?" Rossi quizzed, Morgan looking over at him and Emily.

"Why are you guys so obsessed with her?"

"Because it's intriguing; we show up to pick you up at almost 1 in the morning and you're having ice-cream with a woman who's apparently your 'best friend' from your high school despite us never hearing about her. You've literally held my guts in my body before Morgan, that seems like we're close enough to know of your 'secret bestie'" Emily shrugged.

"Someone's jealous" Morgan teased.

"And someone's deflecting" Emily spoke knowingly at him, he rolled his eyes in response.

"I don't know what you guys want me to tell you; we were best friends, inseparable and then we were separable I guess- that just comes with growing up and it definitely comes with this job."

Reid surprisingly joined in the conversation he had just been listening in to, looking over at Morgan, "what happened between you two?"

"What?"

"You said you were best friends, as in past tense which usually means a big falling out."

Morgan shook his head to himself; sometimes he really hated working with a bunch of profilers.