Be

I have to admit. It was an odd question.

It seems Taehyung instantly regrets his question.

"I mean, you don't have to-but-if you want to" he continues to fiddle with his fingers. I notice his slender fingers are looking very pale with cuts at the tips.

"If you do me a favour" I start. He looks up at me, urging me to carry on. I walk closer to him. He slows his fiddling.

"Can you hold something for me?" I ask.
"Of course" he smiles.

I ball my hand, pretending to hold something. He cups his hand beneath my hand and I hold his hand instead of giving him something.

"My ugly hand" I laugh slightly. His hand was freezing and luckily my hands were still warm from my fire magic.

"My hands are cold" he worriedly says.
"I'm getting way too warm" I lie, laughing slightly. He still looks unsure.

"And your hands aren't ugly" he says, looking away.
"Sure, and I'm the fairy Princess" I laugh.

"So, what birds were you talking about?" I ask, changing topics. He smiles in my direction. He grabs the candle with his free hand and leads me through the house.

He leads me through a door and I see a spiral staircase going upwards.

"Stairs" I already start complaining.
"I hope you don't mind. They don't go downstairs" Taehyung says, looking down like he's done something wrong.

"Well, these better be magic birds" I joke as I start the climb. It was incredibly difficult with these short legs.

"Mind going ahead of me? I can't see all that great" I say as I stop in my tracks. Luckily I can use this excuse since he has the light.
"Of course" he grins and goes in front of me.

I turn back to my normal form since he isn't looking.

I silently sigh in relief and climb the stairs with greater ease, compared to my short form.

We silently reach the top and it was a shabby attic. The moonlight filled the room from the one window. It was freezing. There was no heating.

"Sorry that it's so messy" Taehyung quickly apologises.
"Not at all" I say. It's understandable since I'm pretty sure they don't often come up here.

I notice a neatly made bed.

My heart hurts at the fact that someone lives in this cold attic.

Taehyung opens the window and sits at a nearby chair, waiting.

"Are we allowed in here?" I ask. I would feel bad if this is someone's room and we are keeping them from sleeping.

"Of course. This is my room" Taehyung says with a struggling smile. I wanted to cry right there. I wanted to take this sweet boy back with me. I wanted to cherish and protect him from this unforgiving cold.

"Taehyung, would you-" I start.
"There they are. Took you guys a little longer than usual" Taehyung softly smiles towards two blue birds that flew up to the window. He holds out a finger for a bird to land on.

"I'm sorry I interrupted you. What were you saying?" he asks but I'm enchanted by how gentle this moment was.

The small blue bird chirped, hopping up and down Taehyung's finger.

"Are these birds seriously made of magic?" I ask, staring at how beautiful they look. I don't even like animals but even I have to admit that these two were beautiful.