The Hard Truth

Damian

After running out on Diana, I took an hour to cool off in the forests, running aimlessly as my mind spiraled into a deep hole. I was out of control with rage and couldn't bear to show my mate the true beast within me.

I was already heading back to the pack house to reassess the situation, and thankfully I was in a better frame of mind now.

"Eric, come by my office, I need to speak to you." I linked to Eric as I entered the door.

I felt bad for leaving so abruptly when Diana woke up. I wanted to be there for her, but she didn't feel the same way and it killed me inside. I wasn't sure if it was because she was marked, or if Holden did something to her, but I was going to get to the bottom of it. My frustration started building again as I imagined that sick bastard touching her.

I growled loudly as I whipped my hand onto an unopened bourbon bottle on a nearby shelf.

"We meet again old friend." I wiped the film of dust off the bottle and sighed deeply.

I guess this was a good time to crack it open and thankfully, I always had spare glasses in my office if the occasion arose.

As I poured myself a drink, I contemplated what to do, should I tell the pack? Should I kill Holden first? Should I focus on convincing Diana I was her destined mate?

"Alpha, I'll be there in 6 minutes." Eric finally replied.

"No problem Eric, I got a drink ready for you."

"Oh boy, trouble in paradise already?"

"You have NO IDEA."

I inhaled the sweet aroma of the dark liquid as I analyzed the legs falling down the glass. There were subtle tones of sweetness, vanilla and hints of nutmeg. A perfect blend for my tongue.

It's been too long since I indulged on an aged bourbon. It was a Old Forester blend, bottled in 1958. My father left it in the private cellar before he passed away and I was too much in denial of his death to open it. He was saving it for a special occasion, but I think today called for it.

I sighed as I took a light sip, allowing the burning sensation to trail down my throat and fall to my stomach.

"I'm sorry Diana, how could I not have seen you sooner, what horrors were you succumbed to while living with that beast?" I spoke to my empty office, wishing she could hear me telling her those words.

I swung my chair back and forth while staring up at the ceiling, sipping my drink, hoping it would temporarily mask the pain.

What did I do to deserve this fate? Diana was technically my sworn enemy. I placed my hands on my head while I thought of her laying in the makeshift hospital bed just one floor below me. I couldn't control myself around her and no matter what she said or did, I wanted to grab her and hold her tight. I wanted to protect her from this dark world.

For now, I was deciding that no one in the pack will know who she was until I figured things out. The situation was too complicated for anyone to understand. Maybe they would start to question me; if this was a mere tactic to get back at Holden for all that he has done.

For what he did to my mother all those years ago.

Suddenly, I heard the door creak open. Eric was earlier than expected.

As I glanced up at the doorway, I didn't see Eric, but a tall blonde woman wearing an extra scandalous outfit. A tight fitted blouse and plaid pencil skirt that was way over dressed for this pack, but hell, the men didn't complain.