44

I really like this chapter.

(Lyrica's P.O.V.)

"All right, Mr. Stilinski..." The doctor begins before Stiles corrects him.

"Sheriff." He says, annoyed.

"Sheriff Stilinski." The doctor nods. "I've got you scheduled for surgery first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, it's going to take a little digging to get that slug out of your shoulder."

"Yeah, it's fine." Noah says, flipping through the papers and signing each one after reading it carefully. "Oh, uh, one more. What's this part here? This line?"

"Patient responsibility." The doctor explains, looking at what Noah points to. "Parts of the procedure and hospital stay not covered by insurance."

"Are those big parts?" Noah asks and I can't help but pity him. "Expensive parts?"

"That's between you and your insurance unfortunately." The doctor smiles sadly. "You should start feeling the morphine in a minute. Try to get some rest, Mr... Sheriff." He corrects himself before leaving.

"Hey, stop that." Noah tells Stiles upon seeing him bouncing in place and chewing his nails. Stiles quickly freezes, looking at our father. "I was just curious about the terminology. We're not in any kind of dire straits."

"I know about the bills, Dad." Stiles mutters. Noah's expression changes and Stiles sighs. "I know about the collectors calling about Eichen House. I know about the advance from the department, about the credit cards."

"Stiles, are you going through my stuff?" Noah asks, highly unamused.

"I told him to." I butt in with a fat lie. "I needed to know."

"She's lying." Stiles scoffs. "I go through all your stuff. Especially when you keep things from me."

"I keep things from you because you don't need to know everything." Noah slightly raises his voice.

"Yes I do. I have to know everything. How the hell else am I supposed to take care of you?" Stiles' voice is slightly louder.

"You're not supposed to take care of me!" Noah full-on yells. "I'm the dad. You're the son. And as much as you may hate it, you're the daughter." He points to me at the end. "You get it? Dad. Son. Daughter. I take care of you, Stiles. I try to take care of you, Lyrica, but I missed my chance and you're all grown up now!"

Stiles and I are quiet, I stay where I'm standing against the wall and Stiles plops down in a chair with a sigh.

"We're supposed to take care of each other." Stiles mutters. Noah instantly looks regretful.

"Hey, we're gonna be alright."

"How do you know, Dad?"

"I don't. But the morphine's kicking in. I'm not at all that worried about anything right now." Noah grins and I can't help my chuckle. He leans back and passes out with a sigh. Stiles looks ready to cry, returning to biting his nails.

"But I am." He whispers.

I stand up from the wall, going towards the door.

"Lyrie? Where are you going?" Stiles frowns.

"Come walk with me, Sti." I give my brother a smile and he looks reluctant to leave Noah, but rises anyway.

"Where are we going?" He asks as I lead him away from the room.

"I told you. We're going for a walk." I shrug.

"No shit, Lyrie. Where is this walk leading us?"