Fifteen

I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket and check it instantly. It has been a few days since I last heard from Alex and I'm feeing the urge to talk to him, but I refrain from reaching out because I don't want to scare him away.

Dad. Again. I love him, but I was really hoping that it was Alex.

Dinner tonight? Gabby can come too.

I'll never turn down dinner with my dad. We try to see each other at least once a week, though that hardly ever happens with our busy schedules. I especially love that he invites Gabby. Ever since she came out to her parents about being bisexual they have pushed her away and she hasn't heard a word from them in over six months. When I told my dad what happened, he automatically welcomed her to into our little family. You can see his face light up every time she calls him "dad".

Sure! We will come over at 6?

Perfect. Can't wait to see you both.

-

"Gabby, can you set the table? And Leah can you make the salad?" My dad asks as he pulls the chicken parmesan and garlic bread out of the oven.

After the table is set and the food is served, the three of us sit down for our family dinner.

I shove a huge bite of food down before I start the conversation. "How was your day, Dad?"

"Work has been pretty brutal, but once I finish this project it will be a breeze."

"Good one! I know retired life can be sooo difficult," I laugh, nudging Gabby's arm, but all I get in return is a confused glare from both of them.

Oh great. Not again. My dad retired in 2019 and it's still 2018. I really need to start thinking before I speak. That has always been something I needed to work on, but more so now that I'm living in the past.

"What I meant to say was work can be so difficult, but life will be so awesome once you retire next year!" Gabby and Dad still look confused but they aren't on such high alert anymore.

"Yeah, if I get the chance. I might need to work another year or two before that happens."

As I look across the table, I can't help but smile knowing that this time next year he will be stress-free and won't have to worry about working ever again.

-

Gabby and I offer to clean up so my dad can relax and watch some TV. I'm washing the dishes and Gabby dries, but I stop when I feel my phone vibrate again. It has to be him this time.

My eyes light up when I see his name plastered on the screen.

I'm having a few friends over at my place tonight. Wanna come by? No pressure.

My excitement is cut short as Gabby tries to get my attention. "Hello. Earth to Leah. We are never going to get these dishes done if you don't get off your phone."

"Gabby. It's him! He invited me over to a small get-together at his place tonight! Come with me? Please?"

"Hmm. I think it's about time you formally introduce me to him. Before you fall for him too hard."

I throw my arms around Gabby and she hugs me back, both of us jumping up and down in excitement for what tonight will bring.

After we finish cleaning up, I respond to Alex.

See you at 9? I'm gonna bring my friend with if that's okay.

The more the merrier(: