Nine

Back to the Past

As I slowly open my eyes from a surprisingly good night's rest in the summer heat, I see tiny specks of pink and white floating in the air.

Every year I can count on Gabby to give me some sort of surprise on my birthday. I get up, admire the balloons and streamers scattered around my room, and head to the kitchen to find the culprit.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEAH!" she yells as she runs over to me with a tiara and a sash and pointing to a chair for me to sit in.

I look down and see that the sash says "I'm 21 Bitches" in tiny gems. I remember this sash from three years ago. Well as much as anyone can after a night out on their 21st birthday.

"Sorry Leah, I didn't have time to get you a new one and I couldn't find yours from last year so I figured this would sort of work."

"I love it, Gabby. You always know how to make me feel special on my birthday." I try to get up to give her a hug.

"Nope, sit right there. I have one more little surprise."

She pulls out a cupcake from the freezer, puts some candles in it, and places it in front of me. "Your favorite. Chocolate cupcake with coffee ice cream."

There's nothing stopping me from getting up and giving her the biggest hug. "Thank you. I love you more than you know."

-

After my birthday breakfast/dessert from Gabby, my dad comes to pick me up for some shopping. My dad and I go shopping almost every year on both of our birthdays, with the exception of three years ago when we went on go-karts on my dad's birthday (speeding around the track against crazy teenagers didn't end as well as we hoped). With no chance of anyone getting hurt, we have stuck to this tradition ever since.

"Happy birthday, sweetie," my dad says as he gets out of his car and pulls me in close.

"Thank you, dad," I say as I return the warm embrace.

Our birthday hugs are an emotional gesture for both of us. Each year we get older is another year without my mom and his soulmate. This is why every year we spend a majority of the day with just the two of us. We are the only ones that understand each other's pain and we both feel the need to stick together on these occasions. I was so young when we lost her, so each year I feel like I lose another memory of her. But for my dad, he can never forget the time he lost with her.

-

We arrive at our local mall and begin to browse through our favorite stores. Most dads don't really know what is in style for their daughters, but somehow my dad finds me the perfect outfit every year.

"Hey Leah, come look at this."

I make my way through the racks of clothing and find my dad with a summer dress in hand.

"You could wear this for dinner tonight. It's your favorite color."

I take it form his hand and hold it against my body in the mirror. As usual, he is right. The deep blue hue brings out the light blue in my eyes and compliments my medium brown hair.

"I love this, dad. It's perfect for tonight."

-

Once we get home, I pull out my phone and reply to all of the kind messages from my friends and family.

Happy birthday Leah! We love and miss you. Love Grandma and Grandpa.

Happy birthday to my favorite California girl! Missing you so much from New York! Love Amy.

Happy birthday Leah! Have a fun day! - Chase

As I go through the rest of them I notice that I'm still waiting on one more. Why hasn't Alex texted me yet? Or called? Or tried to reach out in any way? Maybe he's planning a surprise and doesn't want to give it away. I give him the benefit of the doubt. There's no way he would forget.

-

I finish getting ready for dinner and I still haven't heard from him. My dad is taking Gabby, Alex, and I to my favorite steakhouse tonight so I decide to text Alex to remind him of our plans that we made a week ago.

Hey Alex, just reminding your to be at my house at 6:30 for dinner tonight.

I sit on the couch and wait for Gabby to come over when my phone pings.

I'm sorry I can't make it tonight. Can we reschedule for tomorrow night?

"Are Gabby and Alex almost here? We should leave in five minutes if we want to make it to the reservation on time," my dad says, searching the kitchen for his wallet and keys.

"Uh yeah. Hold on," I reply, completely disoriented from Alex's text.

Reschedule? It's my birthday. We had this planned for a week.

I'm really sorry Leah. I can't get out of this.

Right on cue, Gabby walks in the door.

"Where's Alex?" my dad asks, looking down at his watch.

"It's just going to be the three of us," I respond, trying to hide the tears streaming down my face.