Origins

the next morning's sunlight beamed into my eyes making me groan awake to the interior of the bunker. the others were all still asleep in their bunks with the exception of John and James who I assumed were out on a morning flight. Taking a look at the clock that hung above the door it read about ten thirty in the morning; it was odd to not be woken up at four in the morning. The wake up siren that went off a minute or two later rang through the bedrooms where the squads slept making the rest of my unit get up lazily from their bunks. They were all on auto pilot towards the doors to go to the cafeteria.

"Ugh guys has anyone seen James or John?" I asked as we walked down the hall.

"They went out last night for an overnight patrol." Jacoline moaned.

"So I take it they didn't take our fire pit idea too well..." I said more to myself than anything.

"It wasn't so bad actually... We just had to do a half-hour more work than usual and Jacoline is complaining cause she's on her period." Madison chided on my right with a small laugh.

"Its not funny! Besides I thought we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing since we are supposed to be sterile after the transformation." Jacoline snapped back at her as she shuffled down the hallway.

When we came into view of the doors leading into the mess hall where two black dragons that I hadn't seen before were standing in front of it. As we approached they turned their attention onto us "Alpha squad. Please follow us." the closer one said before turning and walking down away from the mess hall. Jacoline complained even more as we followed them.

I was quite sure by the time we reached the door labled auditorium that they were ready to murder all of us for being so curious and complaining about being hungry. They opened the door for us to enter and once the last of us were inside they slammed the door with a thud.

The room had three rows of human seating in the front but the remainder of the huge area was dedicated to large padded mats for us to lay on. There were several men on the stage that I recognized as some of the more prominent founders of the program.

"Alpha squad come up on stage please." one of them said from the podium. We complied going up one of the isles. Just as I reached the top of the steps onto the stage John and James burst through the doors panting like mad coming to the end of our line up. The doors opened again a couple of seconds later with the remaining dragons of our three advanced squads pouring through the doors and found a mat to relax on while watching. When the six of us were lined up the older man at the podium started speaking.

"Now I must apologize for pulling you away from your meal. As a few of you may know I am Jacob Mawly, the funder and founder of this program. Now, after some consulting with the Secretary of defense. We have come to a mutual agreement that is, you in this room will be training the new recruits that are coming here for training and not area 51 anymore on top of you duties as advanced squads. As such we also agreed that any dragon put into a position like this one should have the correct credentials. Meaning as of this moment all of you in this room are the equivalent rank of a corporal. That excludes the three who are already sergeants. You will be positioned as staff sergeants from now on. I expect exellent results from all of you. The recruits will be arriving shortly after lunch fresh from the transformation labs." he finished his lecture and stepped back from the podium as another man took his place.

He began with the six of us on stage placing our new ranking insignia onto the shoulders of our vests. We were dismissed to the rear of the stage as the other two were called up and received their new signs as well. When it was all finished a man came forward with a professional photography camera. "Okay every one get in your line up. Squeeze together like you love each other. Perfect!" he announced as the camera flashed twice.