The Rule of Three

"Are we all most through yet? We need to pick up the pace if we aren't going to get caught." James stated in a harsh wisper behind me as I scrambled lower still trying to make out any indication of our progress.

"Not yet, though I'm sure we are almost there... We have to be, after we have dug almost thirty feet!" I called back continuing to push rock and dirt out of my way looking for the grey concrete so I could start burning a hole through it. After an additional fifteen minutes we finally came across the thick concrete that was about to grant us access to the mazing bunker within. "Okay lets get this over with, and lets hope I have enough stamina to get through this wall." taking in a large breath I went to work to breach the large wall ahead of me. We worked continuously through a couple more hours I stopped only to allow james in to haul out the large sections I had seared away from the rest. After two feet of concrete and steel ribars with my neck extended almost to its limit, and my breath running ragged and shallow I started a new ring to cut through when two knocks on the other side rang through into our tunnel.

We both stopped dead knowing we were both quite possibly in a huge amount of trouble. We waited and waited until it seamed like it had gone quiet before resuming my ring. After six inches light from inside started leaking into our viewing field, after I had completed it I grabbed it and slowly pushed inwards lowering it cautiously from where we had come through.

"Oh, there you two are... Took you long enough." John said obviously annoyed at out delay. While the others were circled around the edges of our barracks.

"When you feel like digging a fourty foot hole sometime john let me know so I can say the same thing when you finnish." I retorted out of breath as James tumbled from the hole exhausted. It had been three weeks since our transfer to this underground fortress, and practically all three squads were like a huge family that worked together, though we hadn't gotten any jobs yet.

"Aww, congradulations wall! They're two healthy boys you have delivered into this world, and just look at the proud mother!" Jacoline ran over giving the wall a hug about six feet beneath where we had come through at.

"See John, your girlfriend knows how to have some fun... Anyway its your teams turn... Have fun laying the pipes." James said still exhausted while he flopped on his bed. The rest of our squad lept into the tunnel each carrying a ten foot section of piping to the top of the shaft. Their part of our task was finnished much quicker than what james and I had accomplished. After installing the ventilation fan and bolting it to the wall the other team filled in our hard worked tunnel with what we had excavated.

"You don't think that the higher ups will be pissed that we put in a fan to pump out the smoke from our fire ring which isn't allowed either,do you?" Madison asked with stress lightly dusted on her words.

"Well we can't say that its a sure bet that we won't, but what the heck... Now the only thing that I think they could possibly have a problem with is that we literally stole all of this from one of the store rooms." John said sophisticatedly as he shoved an imaginary pair of glasses farther onto his face.

"Smart ass." I mumbled while examining our handy work.

"Well, what else did you expec-" he was cut off by the PA system coming on.

"Can Andrew Blake, Samuel Fanfield, and Carter Mosin please report to assignments and missions room at once." the monotone voice stated before the ending tone came through, and we all had a nervous feeling about what they wanted us for.

"It has been nice knowing you guys have fun." the remainder of our squad called after Carter and I while we walked. Sam joined up with us as we passed the cafeteria noting that both Carter and I were covered in dirt.