Chapter 15

Jaella's POV

We arrive at the Grace City Church and begin to question locals immediately. I accompany David and JJ as I can't go alone because I may not pick up on things that they would. All that we learn is that the three victims were well liked within the religious community and would be seen every Sunday, never missed service once.

The church is quite beautiful, with red brick covering the outside and stained glass windows littering the walls. After talking to the lady who was in charge of the choir that Eva White was apart of, I decide to split from the group and look around one of the back rooms. I spot a man maybe a few years older than me sorting out different candles. He turns around and jumps when he sees me.

"Oh sorry," I say sheepishly. "I didn't know that anyone would be in here."

"No problem at all," he replies with a smile. "Father Cathal I believe is out the front."

"Oh I wasn't looking for anyone is particular. Just having a wander. Did you know any of the victims well?" I ask.

"Not as much as I would have liked to," he replies. "I've only been at this church for a couple of months and I try to get to know everyone but, there's a lot of good people here. I can only do so much at one time, and I am horrible with names." His eyes widen. "I apologise, I'm being incredibly rude." He reaches out his hand and I shake it. "The name's Lucas. The stand in priest. I take ceremonies and duties and when Father Cathal isn't able to make it."

"Wow I'm impressed. You seem pretty young to work in a position so high up," I commend.

"Well, I'm passionate about what I do," he replies, running a hand through his blond hair. "What's your name? You must be one of the FBI people that are here."

"Jaella, nice to meet you."

"Well Jaella, if there is anything that I can help with, don't be a stranger." He flashes me a smile before turning back around to sort out his things.

The drive back to the PD is quiet as I think the case over in my head.

The murders were too close for the unsub to be spying on them individually and learning their schedules.

Then something clicks.

"Oh my god," I whisper, mainly to myself but Spencer hears.

"You alright?" He asks, concern lacing his words.

We pull into the precinct's parking lot and I hop out of the car and rush to the conference room, which the BAU has turned into their work room. As the others arrive I look through the collected evidence.

"What's on your mind Jaella?" I hear from behind me.

I turn around to see Hotch standing and the rest of the team sitting at the round table.

"What if the only reason that the unsub knew about Ms. White's sexuality, Mr. Lewis' promotion and Mrs. Burn's abusive behaviour is because they told him directly?" I put the question to the room. "What if they were confiding in somebody? Or getting closure?"

"What are you saying Agent Fox?"

"I'm saying that they admitted to these things to somebody who would classify them as sinful. What if they confessed to them?"

"Are you saying that they told our killer this during confession?" Asks Hotch.

I nod. "Maybe somebody was listening or it could even be the priest himself."

"That is probable. Morgan, I want you to send two undercover watch cars to Father Cathal's house. We do not want to alert him of what we are doing. I want you to keep an eye on his every move. Agents, please get some rest." He turns to me. "Tomorrow we will be going to the club so that you can look around and check for anything suspicious. You will begin working that night."

"Yes sir."

Originally when I thought this story out I thought of it as only having around 15 chapters. And now look at us. We thriving. Ly byeee.