Chapter 10

Jaella's POV

I drive around for a while, looking for nothing in particular. I pass bright signs, housing estates, a park, families out for dinner. After a while I decide to just return to the hotel parking lot. There would be no point in parking somewhere random and then driving back to the hotel in the morning.

I park the car across from the entrance. I watch numbly as I see bright lights in windows flicker off for the night. My breathing becomes heavy and I begin to tap on the steering wheel faster and faster. I take out my phone and scroll through my contacts to find the only person who can calm me down.

"Hello?" Says a groggy voice at the end of the phone.

I take the phone away from my ear to check the time. 01:30. I forgot how early Alex likes to get to bed at. You do not want to see her try to function with less that ten hours sleep.

"Sorry Ally," I say timidly into the phone. "I didn't realise the time."

"Jaella! I am so glad to hear that you haven't been murdered by a killer. Oh don't worry about me. The doctors say that I'll live." I can practically hear her dramatically placing her hand over her heart. "What's up buttercup?"

"Oh I, um," I begin.

"Let me guess. The accommodation is a hotel?" She asks it as a question but she knows that she is right. She always knows what's wrong with me. Even by the tiniest quiver in my voice.

"Yeah," I practically whisper, ashamed.

"Hey hey hey. Don't worry it's okay. They couldn't have known. The only thing that I'm concerned about is where you told them you were going."

"A friend's house."

"That's ok. I'd say wrap up warm and you can stay in the back of one of the SUVs. I'm guessing you're in one right now? Don't force yourself to do anything that you don't want to do."

Alex never ceases to amaze me.

"I like you," I tell her. "It was a good business transaction to obtain you as a friend."

She stifles a laugh. "What can I say, a wise decision."

"Night Ally. Sweet dreams."

"...are made of these. Who am I to disagree?" She sings.

"Oh shush. Go back to bed."

The call ends and I decide to do what she says. I lay down on the back seat, but I know that sleep is far from approaching. Suddenly my phone rings. I sit up and look at the caller. An unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Hiya sweet cheeks." I recognise the voice of Penelope Garcia.

"Um, is everything okay? Have you found something?" My eyebrows knit together as I wonder to why she would call me.

"Oh doll don't worry, everything is as it should be. I always keep tabs on my friends' phones to make sure that they're alright and saw that yours was on not long ago but outside the building."

Friend. She called me a friend.

"I just wanted to make sure that everything was going alright with you. So tell me, what's going on?"

My eyes widen in surprise at her caring nature for a girl that she literally met today.

"Oh I um, just don't particularly like hotels," I reply nervously. "Em, would you mind if my whereabouts stayed between us. I would be a bit embarrassed if the team found out."

"Don't you worry doll face. My lips are sealed. Now get yourself some rest."

"Thanks Penny."

"Ooh Penny I like that nickname. What can I call you?" She asks excitedly.

I laugh at her eagerness. "I think you came up with about five nicknames during this call but whatever works for you."

"Hmm," she ponders. "I think I'll stick with doll."

"Alright thanks Penny."

"Night doll."

Nice Garcia moment here. Is there anyone in the world who doesn't like Garcia? If so then they got problems. She is just my spirit animal. Laterz.