Witch Jars / Witch Bottles

What is a Witch Bottle?

Witch bottles are bottles filled with various objects and liquids of magickal potency that have been used for centuries in certain parts of Europe and early America as a form of protection or "counter magick" — a means to block and trap the harmful effects of witchcraft in different folk traditions. Witch bottles were also found to be used as amulets, meant to protect one's home or land against malice or disease. 

History of the Witch Bottle

Oddly enough, the original witch's bottles were for warding off witches and their spells; they were used against us. The earliest that have been discovered were found in England in the 1700s. It's believed they were created in the 1600s.
So back then you couldn't practice witchcraft but you could protect yourself, was evidently the logic. Most witch's bottles have been discovered in the US in New England. The practice was probably brought over by immigrants and taught to their children here. Since then, their use has evolved; witch bottles now are used to contain almost any spell, from warding off evil to attracting positivity.

How to make a Witch Bottle

Step 1: Define Your Intent
The first and most logical step in a jar spell is to define your intent. Your intent should be specific, realistic, and ethical (whatever you define ethical to be).

Step 2: Choose a Container for Your Jar Spell
You'll need a glass or ceramic jar/bottle/vase, ideally with a wide opening to make it easier to put things inside. Most witches aren't comfortable using plastic containers, but if it is your only option then it will do.

To find a suitable bottle, scrounge around the house or at thrift shops. Consider using anything from mason jars, baby food jars, and mayo or pickle jars to old salad and oil bottles.

Cleanse and consecrate the container you're going to use, as well as all the items you plan to fill it with.

Step 3: Choose Your Jar Spell Contents
What you will put inside this bottle depends on what you want to use it for. All jar spells have these four things in common, however:

1. A Personal Item, AKA a Taglock
This entails something like a photograph, hair, nail clippings, blood or other personal item. You could also use a name written on paper. This should be of the person you are casting the spell on.

2. Written Intent or Prayer

3. Liquid
Generally, the bottle should contain some liquid, but which liquid you choose depends on your intent.

> Urine is used for protection jars and jars to break a curse, but can also be used for manipulative spells over others.
> Vinegar is used to curse or harm others or to 'spoil' something. Safety note: vinegar jars can explode—so don't fill it to the top, and keep the jar wrapped in cloth or towels (unless you're burying it).
> Honey, sugar water or some kind of nectar is used when you want to compel someone or something. This is because if you were seeking to make friends, to be more persuasive, to soothe over hurt feelings, etc., you'd want to 'sweeten' their disposition.
> Ammonia is used for 'cleansing', when you want to banish negativity or malevolent entities, or when you wish to start anew with a 'clean slate'. Safety note: never burn candles on ammonia and do not place ammonia jars near heat, as it can be explosive and flammable.
> Tinctures, infusions, oils, etc. can be used for a multitude of purposes, such as blessings for health or prosperity and the like. Naturally, you should choose something based on your intent—for example, a money spell might include money-drawing herbs like cinnamon or mint.
> Plain water can be used, but it's not really recommended. At the very least, you can make an herbal infusion with it to give it more of a boost.