Chapter 29: A Bestfriend's Betrayal

CHAPTER 29: A BESTFRIEND'S BETRAYAL

CONNER'S POV

My ears were able to stop ringing and I could stand. I lifted myself up quietly, sliding the gun out and into the open behind Paco. With one hand, I held my head where I was hit. The other hand, occupied by a gun and raised. I saw Paco in front of her with his knife out. I knew I had literally only seconds so I aimed and fired.

BANG

Paco fell to floor, screaming. He clutched onto his thigh, where the bullet had entered through his leg. Ashley's face was in complete shock, I tried not to look at her too much. I staggered closer to Paco as he started crawling away from both of us. He finally ran out of room to crawl and pressed himself closely to the wall.

"Co-Conner," he spitted out, "Come on. Please. It's not worth it." He was beginning to stutter my name loudly as I looked him over. He was going into shock and was bleeding everywhere.

"I'm sorry... Eric," I paused, "But I have to get her out of here." I turned away from him. It felt weird saying his actual name, but I had to put some endearment behind what I was saying. I walked over to Ashley, who's duct tape had already fallen off due to the constant tears eating away at it.

"Thank you," she whispered. All I could do was focus on untying her and getting her out of this dreadful place. Every now and then, I would turn back around to make sure Paco wasn't doing anything, but clutching onto his thigh.

Ashley was finally untied, but when she stood, she collapsed to the ground. I put her over my shoulders and began to make my way towards the stairs.

"Conner, please," he mumbled, "Don't leave me here to die. Please Conner." I stopped and looked at him. Sweat was on his face and blood on his hands. It was his blood this time. I didn't say anything and continued up the stairs.

"CONNER! CONNER! DON'T YOU LEAVE ME HERE!" Paco repeatedly called after me, but I kept walking out. The bright light hit both of our eyes and made it almost impossible for us to see. I got a better look at her though. Her hair, face, and clothes was soiled with blood. She had a swollen eye and a big lip. Part of her neck was bleeding, but barely. I handed her my phone and told her to call who she needed. She only looked at me.

"Is what he said true about you?" she asked quietly. I looked down at the ground and didn't say anything at first.

"Whatever you want to tell the police is up to you," I began, "I'm not the hero you might think I am. I've done things." I started walking towards the house as she dialed 911. As long as she was safe, I would be okay with going to prison. As I began to walk into the front door, I smelled smoke. I started running downstairs into the basement for Paco. Flames were all around the room, but Paco was no longer to be found.

Coughing, I stumbled out of the house as it went up in flames. Ashley stared at it, wide mouthed. Her eyes met mine and all I could do was shake my head. A few minutes, police arrived with the fire department, her parents, and paramedics. Soon after, the local news came too. It was all over for us. Her nightmare had came to an end.