Chapter 20: Set in Motion

CHAPTER 20: SET IN MOTION

PACO'S POV

I walk off from her. Finally, after a few days, everything is starting to come together. I'm one step closer to it all. I walk on down the road where one of my goons pick me up. He just looks over at me, not saying a word and drives towards the warehouse. After we arrive and he turns off the car, he looks over at me.

"Conner's been looking for you," he says quietly.

"Okay," I respond back. We get out of the car. As I walk over to my office door, I hear my name screamed across the warehouse room. I look over to see Conner standing behind Jared with his gun out and Jared's computer smashed on the floor. I shake my head and motion for Conner to follow me into my office. As I sit down, Conner walks in, staring at me.

"Where have you been?" Conner asks.

"Have a seat Co-" I say.

"Answer me," Conner cuts me off. I stand up to him and keep my glare towards him.

"Sit. Now," I demand.

He lets out a soft sigh and sits calmly. He knows better than to challenge me like that. He keeps his stare towards me.

"Since when do I have to tell you where I've been?" I ask quietly.

"Since you just abruptly leave for hours at a time without telling anyone. No one would answer me either," he answers back.

"Is that why you smashed Jared's computer?" I ask. He nods and looks down at the ground.

"Why would it even matter to you?" I ask slowly. He looks up.

"Leave her alone," he mumbles, "She's gotten what she's deserved. Let it go."

There's a quick pause in between us. Conner's eyes travel all around the room as if he was searching for answers or clues for something. He couldn't sit still, especially after he said that. He knew he was crossing into dangerous territory with trying to order me around. If there's one thing that he's learned from me, it's that he has only  a certain degree of authority around here, but none when it comes to my activities. His strong feelings about this girl and the situation has clouded his judgement.

"I'm not even messing with her anymore," I say, "I've been going off to be myself, as a break. I'm done with her. Honestly." His eyes meet mine and we keep eye contact with each other.

"Promise?" he says quietly.

"I promise," I reply back. Conner calmly stood and nodded. 

"Tell Jared he'll get another computer tomorrow sometime," I call after him. I sit in my office by myself for a while. Conner is such a child. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.