Golden

Song: Ruth B- Golden

Dedication: I would live to dedicate this to ImagineFantasi for making such an awesome cover for the for both of my books in this series! Thank you so, so much!

"Mama." I quietly spoke a mixture of excitement and longing swirling within me as I gazed at her.

However, her next words had the small smile that had begun to crawl on my face vanish.

"Ma-ma." She parroted my words with a waggling of her finger, a heavy accent that obviously only came out when she was upset surfaced. "Mama? Mama! That's all you have to say for yourself. What is wrong with you?" She bellowed, and a whiplash of heat rushed at me.

The hotness surprised me, but I was able to stay steady on my feet. From my confused perspective, I could see she was really trying to put on a good parenting act, but sad to say her skills were a little rusty.

The overjoyed surprise that had erupted through me at seeing my estranged mother fizzled out like a weak match. I blinked three times at her before exhaling a flippant breath. "What's wrong with me? Well, I have a horrible temper, my hair frizzes with the smallest amount of moisture in the air , one of my thumbs are actually bigger than the other-"

"Avril!" She hissed annoyed, cutting off my rant. Slowly, I brought my two thumbs down, that I had actually been eyeing with one eye closed. Okay, she was angry. I got that. I just didn't understand it.

"Do you know why you're here with me?" She questioned, hands on her hips up and face like thunder.

I sucked in air through my teeth. "I'm assuming it's not because you missed me."

This time it was her being knocked silent and blinking at me like she was at a loss of words to say to me. "I do miss you. I missed you a lot actually and-" She let out an infuriated sigh, rubbing one side of her temple in soothing circles. "You're completely ruining my stern mother mode. I'm really trying here Avril to stay mad because-"

"The stern mother mode doesn't quite fit you. You're not around enough for it to really take an effect."

She gasped just as I registered the bitterness in my words and covered my mouth.

"Damn, even I felt that." My voice whistled softly and then drifted back in the calmness of oblivion

And if a part of me was honest with myself, I was partly bitter with my mother. I hadn't even taken the time to analyze these feelings until the words were uttered out my mouth. The first and last time I had seen my mother, I was satisfied. The awe of meeting a woman I had prayed for and dreamed about since I was young soothed my feelings, but after that day I never heard a word from her or saw even a sign that she existed.

And a part of me understood that she didn't really have the means of talking to me because of the lock-down with her planet, but, damn, if they had the power to completely disappear off the radar from every creature in this galaxy, then they surely had to have some type of way for me to communicate with my mother. Hell, even E.T knew how to phone home.

All this time I had needed someone, a mother to guide me as a young woman that only a mother knew how to do. All this time I was looking for a mother, and she was gone.

No note, not a card, not a message, not even a fucking messenger pigeon alerted me that she wasn't just some figment of my imagination that my mind may have created up in her absence.

So yes, a part of me was bitter. Very bitter.

But the moment I saw her copper eyes dull with somberness, the guilt hit.