Chapter 42- Epilogue

"Okay open your eyes" Chris said from behind me as he removed the blindfold from around my eyes. I gasped.

"Chris it's beautiful" I replied and turned around to hug him. He grinned at me and led me over to the blanket.

Today was our first date. It was the eleventh of November and there were five days left until Chris and I became sixteen. He had told me this morning that we were going out and had told me to dress up warm. I did just that. When I came down the stairs he tied a blindfold onto my face and orbed us out of the house.

We were standing on a square piece of grass. It was so green and lush that it felt bouncy beneath my feet. I removed my sandals and walked barefoot up to the blanket that he had laid out, obviously before we came here. On three sides we were surrounded by hedges, so no one could get it. On the one side, which happened to be the edge of a cliff, there wasn't anything there and it looked out onto the San Francisco Harbour. On the horizon I could see ships sailing and people down on the beach were fishing. The sun was setting, throwing rays of light in different directions and slowly turning the blue of the sky into pale pinks, purples and golds. It was so beautiful that it took my breath away.

"Lila" Chris called and I walked over to the blanket, putting my sandals down beside me and crossing my legs. Chris sat opposite me and he held a plate out to me. I took it and looked at the food.

"Did you cook it or your mom?" I asked him, knowing he wasn't the best chef in the whole world.

"I did, but I got it wrong two times before hand so my mom watched me cook so I didn't burn anything again" he explained and I laughed before taking a bite of the macaroni and cheese that he had made.

"Surprisingly this is really good" I said after swallowing the mouthful I had just taken. He grinned at me and took a bite himself, before nodding to show he agreed with me.

When we had finished eating the picnic he had brought, which consisted of: sandwiches, pork pies and a chocolate cake that he had made, all of which were yummy, we lay back on the blanket. Chris lay on my left hand side, and put his arm around my shoulders as we looked up at the sky. He gathered my left hand in his. I smiled to myself. I had never been this happy since the death of my mom. I turned my head to see that Chris as watching me. He smiled warmly at me. Before sitting up and pulling something out of his pocket. He gave it to me and I saw that it was a navy blue box with gold trimming around the edge of the lid.

"I was going to give it you on our birthday but I couldn't wait any longer, so here is your early birthday present" he said to me and I frowned at him before opening the box. I gasped.

There sitting on a white fabric was a silver necklace with a wolf hanging off it.

"Chris how did you know?" I said to him grinning happily. The necklace was the one that I had saw in Evaline's shop when I bought the two necklaces from her. He shrugged at me but was obviously happy that he had gotten it right.

"I saw it on the counter after you left and went to see what it was that you hadn't bought. When the woman told me you were very fond of it but didn't have enough money that day I knew I had to buy it for your birthday" he said.

"Thank you I love it" I said to him before throwing my arms around his neck with such a force that we both fell. I ended up lying across his chest. He tapped my sides and I climbed off him.

"Want me to put it on for you?" he asked and I nodded before handing him the box and turning around.

I saw the chain in front of me so I lifted my hair up, to make it easier for Chris to close the clasp. That way he wouldn't get any of my hair stuck either. When he had fastened it I felt the coolness of it against my skin before my neck went warm. Looking up I saw the grass area was filled with women, all wearing period outfits. All of them were dressed in floor length dresses of the simplest kind. Turning to Chris I saw that he saw them as well. All of the women smiled at us before blowing us kisses and disappearing. One landed on the wolf necklace and I knew that these women were the makers of the necklace and the ones who had worshipped the moon. We grinned at each other before Chris placed his hand on my cheek. Closing my eyes I leaned into his hand before quickly opening them again.