Chapter 9

"Yes" he said, at the same time I said "No" and I gave him a weird look when he answered this.

"Yes Shelly, we are, Lila's just too embarrassed to admit it" Josh replied. My face must've given off a shocked look because Josh smiled at 'Shelly' and turned me around so we could follow the rest of our friends out of the gate, leaving Shelly staring at us open mouthed.

"What was that about?" I asked him, still feeling shocked, but mostly embarrassed at the fact he would say that considering he knew how I felt.

"I only answered the truth" he replied.

"No, you didn't. If you don't like her you should just say so instead of leading her on" I replied, feeling quite annoyed now. It annoyed me how he would take advantage of my feelings like that.

We had just come to the gates now, the rest of our group were further up the road waiting for us, when Josh said,

"Oh yeah I missed one small detail-" he said stopping to look me in the eye, "-will you be my girlfriend?" he asked. So I did the only sane thing I could, other than slapping him, I walked off from him.

"Ass" I mumbled under my breath. An arm grabbed mine and turned me around to face Josh again.

"What did you walk off for?" he asked looking shocked, and a little hurt. I rolled my eyes.

"That's low even for you, taking advantage of my feelings like that" I said and gestured behind us even though there was nothing there, but we both knew what I meant.

"What do you mean? I didn't realise asking someone out was bad"

"It is when you happen to know that someone has liked you for a long time. And playing a joke like that is kinda hurtful" I could feeling my control over my anger beginning to thin. Not good.

"Playing a joke on you? Lila I like you" he replied. Something swam in his eyes. I shuck my head and walked off again not believing a word he said of it. It was only last week that he still followed Terri around like a puppy.

I made my way towards our group when Josh's hand grabbed my arm, stopping me yet again.

"What is your problem?" I hissed. He looked taken aback.

"I don't understand. I thought you liked me, and since I like you back I thought it would be a good idea to ask you out" he replied, a crease forming in between his eyebrows.

"That's the thing Josh, you don't. It was only last week that you were following Terri around like a puppy. So whoever has dared you to ask me out, tell them that the joke isn't funny" I said yanking my arm out of his grasp and I stormed off arriving at the group, who were still waiting for us.

I felt Josh arrive but I ignored him and walked in front of everyone.

"Terri?-" he started speaking loudly so that we could all hear him.

"What did I tell you this morning on the way to P.E?" he continued. By this time my senses were on alert and I could feel in the air how Josh nodded his head at Terri, telling her it was fine to tell us.

"You said that you liked Lila. I thought it was awesome considering how long she's liked you for" I felt Josh nod.

"See Lila? I wasn't pulling your leg" I turned around to face them all, walking backwards. He looked hopeful, but careful at the same time, dreading what I would say. I didn't really know what to say. Terri had been right I had liked Josh for a long time. Four months to be exact and no matter what I did I couldn't stop liking him. However I couldn't shake the feeling that this wasn't real. That something was wrong so I just nodded showing that I believed him. Relief showed in his face, followed by the hope that I would finally say yes, but I didn't know myself so I turned back around and started to walk normally, sensing all eyes on my back.