Chapter 19

For a few seconds it felt like I was flying, which was weird considering that I'd orbed before, although I had never been holding onto another person while they orbed. I felt ground beneath my feet and then Chris let go of my hand.

"Finally" Melinda whispered, rolling her eyes when she saw us. I grinned.

"Sorry. Blame Wyatt" as I said that he orbed in and Melinda understood instantly when she saw Wyatt and Amy holding hands. I saw them let go at the same time I was alerted by earth to a movement in one of the caves, followed by echoing footsteps.

"Come on, someone's coming" I whispered to my group and we hid behind boulders dotted around. I hid behind the boulder furthest from the opening so I was able to look at the approaching group longer.

The group consisted of Drogba, Lucy and about four other demons. My heart constricted when I saw the state of Lucy. In the last fifteen minutes while we had been preparing potions the demons had managed to do something to make her bleed. Her pale lemon dress was now red with her blood. Her face was covered with sweat, dirt and strands of hair that had escaped. Her hair was now dull and dirty and looked thin, instead of the shining golden colour it had been when I first met her.

As they made their way passed me, Lucy started to resist and the other four demons moved to restrict her movement before walking up to the table at the fart end of the cavern. They roughly lay her down and tied her up before Drogba retrieved a glistening handled athame. Lucy's face was grim as she knew her fate.

Come on let's sneak up on them. We can torture Drogba to see who hired him  I sent through the bond to both of the boys and saw them emerge from behind their boulders, followed closely by Melinda and Amy. Moving soundlessly from behind my hiding place I met my friends and we moved to the walls of the area, moving through the shadows. I crossed my fingers together in the hope we wouldn't be spotted before we needed to be.

Chris, Melinda and I had reached the table on one end where Lucy's feet were positioned when I saw Drogba raise the athame. Lucy's eyes widened in fear and I felt Chris bristle in anger, considering it was my innocent. I gently touched his arm and he calmed at my touch before I raised my right palm in front of me and thought of fire. At the little prod it flew from out of my hand in a small burst of energy and hit Drogba on the shoulder of the arm that was holding the athame. He hissed and looked at the shadows where we were hiding.

I have an idea but I need you both to stay hidden  I sent to Chris and Wyatt.

Lila what are you planning?  Wyatt sent back and I smiled to myself before pushing Melinda and Chris lightly. They understood and moved until they were pressed up against the wall of the cave.

I lifted my arms up until they were parallel against the ground, with my palms facing upwards.

"Come to me spirit" I whispered to my element and instantly felt my energy and my own spirit lift as my element made itself known.

"I need you to help me now. You see the girl on the table, well she is my first innocent and I can't let her die, so I want to scare Drogba. Spirit if you can, can you somehow help me and keep me hidden?" I asked quietly so that no one would be able to hear me. I felt a swirl of energy in my gut giving me spirit's answer before I felt claustrophobic. It was almost as though I was buried under the earth. I tested first by putting my right arm out in front of me and into the light. When the demons made no reaction and stepped forward and stood for a few seconds. Still they made no sign that they could see me.

Lila what are you doing? You're gonna get yourself killed  came Chris' voice in my head and I felt a stir in the air as he stepped forward to pull me back. I held up my arm, signalling him to stay where he was before I walked silently up to Drogba and his friends. Cool so somehow spirit had made me invisible to the demons but not my friends. Talk about my powers growing.