Chapter 27 🌲

The moment the Cullen's got home, Rosalie let out all her fury towards Edward, part of it for what he said to Athena, but she begged Rosalie not to mention that again.

"Are you out of your mind? What went across your pea sized brain? You exposed us, and just to save a human who has no meaning to us whatsoever!" Rosalie raged at Edward who tried to calm her down.

"Rosalie listen, the van was going to hit her, she could've died! I couldn't just let her be in harm's way when I could do something about it-" Edward said, but that only made Rosalie madder.

"SHE COULD'VE DIED! SO WHAT? LET HER DIE IT MIGHT BE BETTER FOR EVERYONE! WHY DOES IT EVEN MATTER TO YOU IF SHE DIES? IS SHE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE SAFETY OF YOUR FAMILY? I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE YOU!" 

"Language, Rose!" Esme called from her workshop.

"Bella isn't all bad," Edward said. Athena bit her lip to stop herself from yelling at him.

"Sorry Esme!" Rosalie apologized sweetly and turned back on Edward furiously, about to continue her rage when Athena stopped her.

"Rose! Maybe it wasn't Edward's fault, he did the right thing after all! You know, save her from getting hurt really badly-" Athena defended Edward. She didn't know what made her do it, but after all, the pull was still there.

"Athena, I think just this once, Rose might be right" Jasper said quietly from the couch beside the one she was sitting in. 

"Yeah he saved her what a hero, but that doesn't change the fact that he hurt you Athena! You may be able to save him from that one, but he completely dismissed something that meant everything to you! It wasn't just a kiss to you-" Rosalie stopped when she realized what she was saying in front of Edward. Athena gave the blonde female vampire a warning look.

Edward felt awkward.

"Uh I should go do my homework see you tomorrow" Athena said after a long moment of awkward silence, no one knew what to say.

"Im sorry Athena." Rosalie muttered. Athena smiled.

"No worries, Rose. It had to be said." Athena turned on Edward when she spoke the last part.  At least now he knew he had hurt her worse than the van could've hurt Bella.

"Wait Athena-" Edward got up from the sofa he sat in but didn't walk towards her. Athena snapped her head in his direction and gave him a look that would shut anyone up in a second.

"You don't get to talk" She said before walking up the stairs and into her room, slamming the door shut. 

-

A week had passed since then, and Edward and Athena were on much better terms. Edward had apologized to her and the two had agreed they would stay as friends and let things fall into place as time passed. It had made Athena quite impatient, but otherwise, she was satisfied.

Another thing bothering Athena? Prom. It was two weeks away and she had no idea if Edward would even consider her. 

Athena sat with her siblings at lunch, but she noticed Edward was sitting on a table near the end of the cafeteria, alone.  Athena was about to call out to him when he started motioning his fingers as if he was telling someone to come.

Athena looked around until she found who he was motioning to. Bella Swan. How blind could he be? 

"What are you looking at Athe- what the hell does he think he's doing?" Rosalie hissed when she noticed Athena's saddened expression. 

Bella looked in his direction lifting her eyebrows in surprise. She took the soda she had bought and sat on the chair in front of Edward's hesitantly.

Lunch passed and Edward only sent glances in Athena's direction, as if searching for her approval, but Athena only pursed her lips and held her emotions in. She couldn't let anyone know how she really felt, though that was impossible in Jasper's case. 

Edward! Jasper thought and Edward stopped fidgeting with the bottle cap in his hands and looked up to see his brother staring at him with a tired expression. He nodded his head slightly in Athena's direction so that she wouldn't notice what was going on. Edward locked eyes with Athena and smiled, getting a surprisingly sincere simile and wave in return.

So what? He wasn't into her! She wasn't about to spent her whole life chasing after him, so she would just keep looking for the right one. But even if she said that to herself, Athena still loved him. She always would, no matter what. She couldn't control it.

But oh she was wrong, so very wrong. He was into her. More than she could ever possibly imagine. Maybe even more than she was to him. But he was afraid of being rejected, of getting hurt and loosing someone he felt he was close to, and was letting it out on Bella, making Athena believe what was not. He couldn't bring himself to making the first move again, he simply couldn't. 

They both assumed before trying to figure out how the other felt, that was the mistake which kept them from being something else. One small mistake.

🌲