Chapter 4 🌲

She rolled over in bed once more. It was daylight and her brain was thinking too much in the morning for her own liking.

Her door sprung open and she nearly got a heart attack as Alice danced into the room. For a moment she had truly forgotten where she was. It was not a dream. The tiny vampire planted herself in front of the big bed Athena was laying on.

"I brought you some clothes!" she said happily and placed several bags on the floor. "There is this one green top I thought would look amazing on you, why don't you try that one on first..."

"You did not have to spend money on me," Athena said quietly, feeling a bit ashamed of how she had showed up.

"Nonsense! I absolutely love shopping! I thought you knew that?" Alice tilted her head.

"I do. But I don't-"

"But nothing. It did not even make a dent in my account. Come on now no more talking, go shower and get dressed! Its your first day of school!"

The vampire left the room gracefully and shut the door behind herself to give the new comer some privacy, for she remembered how Athena liked to sleep.

She took the bag Alice had left her and closed the bathroom door behind her as she shivered from the ice cold contact her bare feet felt with the floor when she stepped into the bathroom. After taking a quick shower, she brushed through her long wavy hair and dressed in a short black skirt and the tight green long sleeve shirt Alice had recommended. The girl braided her hair into a beautiful french braid and stepped out of the bathroom.

Her eyes were better than the average human. They had always been. In darkness she could nearly see clearly. She had a bit of a better hearing as well, but not as much. Her sight was what made most influence, but in her childhood the doctors said it was strange and did nothing else. They were not ordinary, though. She was not ordinary.

She made her way down to where she remembered the kitchen would be, the image clear in her head.

Esme heard her steps coming and served her a plate with pancakes at once as she sat down.

"Thank you," Athena breathed, not expecting all this kindness. They barely knew her plus she was from another universe!

"It was my pleasure, I never get to use the kitchen!" said Esme happily.

Carlisle hurried inside the immense dining room and kissed Esme goodbye, then told Athena he would be back later which she only nodded to in response, not wanting to be rude with her mouth embarrassingly filled with food.

Soon enough she finished her delicious breakfast, thanked Esme once again with a hug she was teaching herself to slowly get used to, and got rushed out and into the car by Alice along with the rest of the school attending vampires. All but Edward.

"Is Edward coming?" Athena wondered. Alice turned her head look at her with a smirk from the driver's seat.

"He'll be coming in 1 minute and 19 seconds on point" Alice said. Exactly 1 minute and 19 seconds later as Alice had informed, came Edward.

He was dressed properly and looked uncertain as he made his way to the car they were waiting in. His eyes briefly meeting hers, and he gave her his well known crooked smile. She rolled her eyes but smiled when she thought he wasn't looking. It did not go unnoticed by Edward though, and he chuckled. He sat on the seat in the back of the car next to Athena, knowing it was the only spot available.

Suddenly remembering, she turned to him urgently. "Edward!"

Edward turned and looked at her with an eyebrow raised from her urgent tone. "Yes?"

"If Bella asks you sometime near in the future if you wear contacts, say yes. It will save you from some trouble. Oh, and don't make it too obvious that you're a vampire," Athena said. Edward just stared at her.

"Thank you?"

"Seriously, you're not so good at keeping it secret as you might think. Believe me," Athena stated.

"Aha, well I'll keep that in mind" He nodded awkwardly but smoothly. She sighed and bit her lip nervously.

"Is something the matter?" Edward asked.

Edward's concern was strangely comforting enough and Athena found herself wanting to open up to the vampire next to her. "Sure, I mean... I never expected to be taken from my home and dumped into another universe. Living with vampires. Feeling at home. It bothers me. Not to offend anyone of course! But my reality changed and now I live amongst mythical beings, and always dreamed of being with mermaids and fairies. I always wished to be a fairy with wings." The last part added silently and with a smile.

"Well, as far as I know mermaids and fairies do not exist in this world, but we might be fooled and they do. However, I can understand that this is difficult for you, the same it is after changing into a vampire. Once human then suddenly another creature. You have to learn to fit in all over again. Yet, you will never truly fit in as a vampire," Edward said, his voice soft. She smiled at him but felt more awkward than she ever had. She wasn't at all used to being comforted by anyone. She felt stressed, sad, and many other confusing feelings but luckily Jasper failed to feel her emotions. 

When she read the Twilight Saga she would have wished for immortality and being a vampire, sure. But now she felt like it did not matter. Honestly, what she had said had been true. She would have preferred fairy. Just in her own size and with large butterfly wings. Being able to fly wherever she wanted to.

"That would be something, wouldn't it?" she whispered to herself. Edward could only guess what she was talking about as he fruitlessly tried to read the girl's mind.

🌲