Chapter 16 🌲

Returning to the Cullen house felt stressful. All the Cullens, including Athena had thought nothing of the small pain caused by her knocking into Bella and getting hit by the books, but the small pain only got worse. Athena clutched her upper stomach trying her best not to whimper in pain, she didn't want to cause them any more trouble and she knew they would over react and worry. Athena couldn't hold it anymore, and she lat out a small whimper. As the girl had guessed, all the Cullens heads snapped in her direction, sporting worried looks. They all rushed her inside and made her sit on the couch.

"Erm i'll go check in the bathroom if theres anything wrong," Athena said and atempted to get up with a small grimace. Rosalie rushed over and put an arm around her shoulders and the other on her left arm, helping her up in the blink of an eye.

"I'll go with you," Rosalie said and her voice made no room for argument.

Silently they made their way and once inside Athena threw off her top.

"You're certainly not shy," Rosalie muttered with a smirk.

"No I'm-" Whatever she was going to say was cut off when she saw the huge bruising on her chest.

"Athena!" Rose gasped.

"H-how?" Athena stared wide-eyed.

A large purple bruise had spread out over her two hearts, up her breasts, and a bit down to her stomach.

"I don't understand. Your skin is as strong as ours. A hit from those books should not have been able to do this. I fucking hate that human" Rose muttered the last part, but Athena could obviously hear it

"Rose it wasn't her fault! It was an accident." Athena defended the human. Rosalie just 'humphed' in response.

"Well, I guess it means I have my weaknesses as well. I can't be as awesome as you guys." She chuckled and pulled over her top again. "I do have two beating hearts so maybe the way to kill me is through my chest and my hearts." Athena shrugged.

"Athena! Don't say that! No one, and I mean it, is ever going to kill you!" Rose hissed, but her eyes were worried.

Athena's eyes widened. To be honest she really felt touched over how Rose was feeling, and it wasn't exactly expected. Though she did not seem to hate her. She touched over her hearts again and sighed. The pain was still there, but not as bad as it had been.

"I am grateful for your concern Rosalie-"

"Rose."

"...Rose. There is nothing we can do. Neither is it any explanation for why I am like this. I was bound to have a weakness. Can't say I'm happy about this but neither do I think it is the worlds end."

Rosalie took a step forward and grasped Athena's shoulders. She met Athena's eyes and for a long moment they stood there in silence. "You are a strong woman. It does not mean you should be afraid to seek help or receive it. We are here to support you," she said with a firm voice.

Athena's eyes filled a bit and she hurriedly wiped her eyes. "Maybe we should tell Carlisle then," she said with a bit of humor, her voice shaking.

"That would be wise," Rose said with a smiled and left. Well thats awkward Athena thought as she wiped her eyes and took a long look in the mirror again. Nothing was different. Just her hearts.

Faintly she could hear the others whisper through the house. They had with no doubt heard her and Rosalie talk. She took a deep breath and opened the bathroom door. Carefully she peeked out. No, no one there. Silently she made her way to her room and closed the door behind herself.

What in the world was going on with her? She would not break down and fall apart. No, she was too strong for that. She could not suddenly fall into darkness now.

What is wrong with me? She wondered and sat on the edge of her bed, facing the windowed wall.

🌲