32 - I think I Remember

"Charlie'll be here soon. I assume Alice saw that?" Jacob asks. "Actually, I can't see anything about today's schedule, thanks to you," Alice says. "What have you done?" Bella growls. "As I said, I did you guys a favor," Jacob says. "A favor? You just put Charlie on the vampire hit list. Not even the Cullens can protect them from that," Bella hisses. "Relax, Bells. I didn't tell him about you. I just told him about me," Jacob says. Bella blinks. "About you? So he knows about werewolves but not vampires?" Bella asks, to which Jacob nods. "I changed in front of him," Jacob says. "YOU ABSOLUTE MORON. YOU COULD'VE GAVE HIM A HEART ATTACK!" Bella yells although it's obvious that she's relieved that Charlie doesn't know about vampires.

"Oh!" Alice gasps before quickly leaving the room. She returns seconds later. "You, you and you," she says to the three werewolves. "Get out. Go upstairs or something," Alice orders. "These are contacts. You can wear them for one or two hours before the venom in your body burns them. Yes. Let go of Renesmee. You'll need both arms," Alice says, holding up a small case that fits in her palm. Bella hands Renesmee to me before she takes the contacts. "Take Renesmee away until she's ready," Edward whispers. "Bossy," I tease as I go to the kitchen with Renesmee in my arms.

In the living room, the Cullens were telling Bella how to act. "Sit down, honey. Humans don't like to stand for too long," Esme says. "Slouch a little. A human's posture isn't that good," Emmett adds. "Yes. And move around often. Humans can't stay still," Rosalie says. "Remember to blink at least three times a minute," I say, popping my head into the living room. Bella blinks quickly three times. "Slower," Alice orders. Bella blinks slower this time. "Perfect," Alice says with a smile.

The doorbell rings and Alice opens it. "Charlie!" she squeals, giving him a hug. Charlie looks around and spots me in the kitchen. "Hey, Cheif Swan," I say with a small smile. "Brooklyn," he says with a nod. He continues looking around for Bella. "Dad? I'm in here," Bella calls from the living room. "He didn't see Renesmee yet?" Jacob asks. "Nope. The counter was blocking her," I say, gesturing to where Renesmee was crawling behind the island. Jacob picks up Renesmee from off the floor.  "You get to meet grandpa, soon," Jacob coos, placing Renesmee on the island.  "Soon, as in now, I hope?" Charlie asks with a grin, entering the kitchen. Guess they sorted it out. "Oh. This is her. The baby you adopted?" Charlie asks. Adopted? "Just play along with it," Edward whispers, leaning down next to my ear. "Yes. Renesmee," Bella says. "Well. She's a beauty," he whispers. Slowly, Renesmee lifts her hand up, waves at Charlie, and Charlie melts.

"How are we going to tell your mother?" Charlie asks Bella. "I don't know. I don't want to freak her out," Bella mutters. "We have time. I'll think of something to tell Renee," Charlie says. Bella smiles, happy that Charlie on her side.

Renesmee was incredibly intelligent and learned quickly. One day, she saw Alice gracefully skipping around the room, changing the water in the flower vases, and decided that she wanted to walk too. She got up and started walking. After just a few months, she started talking in complete sentences. "Renesmee, what's this?" I ask, picking up a handful of snow. "Snow," she says happily in her sweet voice. "It's so soft and fluffy right?" I ask. She nods, giggling as she picks up some in her own hands. She already looked like a six-year-old thanks to how fast she was growing. "You look worried," I tell Bella. "It's- she's just growing so fast. She's the first of her kind. I don't know how much time I have left with her," Bella says. "Well then, you'll just have to spend it wisely," I say. "You're right. I was thinking of taking her into the forest. It'll be fun. We can play with all the snow," Bella says. "Alright. You go with Jacob. I'll let Edward know," I say. "Thanks," Bella says, picking up Renesmee.

"Bella, Renesmee, and Jacob went out for a while," I tell Edward. "What?" I ask when he looks at me. "I don't know how to say this," he says. "Say what?" I ask. He sighs. "You're a great friend. You always have been. Ever since I met you. You've been one of my closest friends. One of my only friends. You sacrificed your human life to save me and Bella, even if it was unintentionally, I take the blame for it. So I wanted to say thank you for always being there," he says. "That was sweet. Your welcome I guess," I say, smiling at his thanks. "I know that I'm not Cedric Diggory. Or at least I don't remember being him. But he means a great deal to you and I'm sure you have a lot to say to him. So pretend I'm him or something and tell him," he says. I look him in the eye.

"You left me in a world of supernatural creatures to fend for myself. We were supposed to get through it together. We were supposed to have a life together. Maybe we were supposed to have a family together. You were supposed to stare at me like I was the only girl you had eyes for in the Great Hall for another year and then graduate. Then you were supposed to come back and watch me graduate. And then you were supposed to tell Cho off for trying to hit on you even though she already knew that you were mine. We were supposed to dance in the rain so many more times and you were going to teach me Quidditch, remember? I know I'm so hypocritical since I had no interest in you when we first met. Who would've thought that I would fall in love with you and ruin my life over you? That's how hard I fell for you. I love you so much and I miss you like crazy. I'd do anything for you to be here with me right now," I rant, tears streaming down my face. Edward stares off into space. "I think I remember," he says slowly, his brows furrowing.