28 - Who Killed the Dog?

Bella had fallen asleep on the couch as Rosalie, Alice, and I sat across from her. Edward and Jacob were talking quietly. Jasper and Emmett were god knows where and Esme and Carlisle were in the kitchen.

Suddenly there was a loud bang next to me. I turn around to see that Jacob had thrown the doggy bowl Rosalie made for him at Rosalie's head. "Dumb blond," Jacob mutters. I move away from Rosalie as I see her temper flaring. She turns around to Jacob, her eyes blazing. "You. Got. Food. In. My. Hair." At this Jacob bursts out laughing, along with Alice and Edward. I hid my laugh as I knew Rosalie would be pissed at me if I did. All this laughing woke Bella up. "What's so funny?" Bella asks. "I got food in her hair," Jacob says between his laughs. "You're dead. I'm not going to forget this," Rosalie says, standing up. "It's not so hard to erase a blonde's memory. Just blow in her ear," Jacob says, laughing harder. "Shut up," Rosalie snapped as she walks away. "And get some new jokes!" she yells from the bathroom.

The next day, Alice, Jasper, Esme, and Carlisle went hunting. Rosalie insisted on staying back to help Bella. Jacob had cleared the path for them. Rosalie was watching tv as Jacob sat down beside me. "So. You and Jared fighting?" he asks with a sigh. "Not fighting. He's avoiding me," I say sourly. "Ha," he says. I narrow my eyes at him as he was getting on my nerves. "Ew, someone put the dog out," Rosalie says, finally acknowlodging Jacob's presence. "Have you heard this one? How does a blonde's brain cells die?" Jacob asks. Rosalie ignores him so he turns to Edward. "Has she heard it?" he asks and Edward responds with a simple, "No." "Ok then, bloodsucker. A blonde's brain cell dies alone," Jacob says. "I will kill you," Rosalie hisses. Jacob opens his mouth to make another retort. "Will you shut up?" I ask, annoyed by his presence. "Whatever you say, you bloodsucking witch," Jacob says. "I don't suck blood," I correct. "I highly doubt that," Jacob says.

"Did you say something?" Edward asks Bella suddenly. "No," Bella answers. "Are you sure you weren't just thinking about us... doing, you know," Edward says. Bella turns a deep shade of red as she says no in a small voice. Edward closes his eyes and slowly says, "The baby says it likes you're voice." "You can hear him?" I ask in disbelief. "Yeah. It's, sorry, he's happy," Edward says. Bella's face lights up at this. "Oh that's amazing! But, of course you're happy," Bella coos. "So, any name ideas?" I ask. "If it's a boy, EJ. And a girl would be Renesmee. Like Renee and Esme? Too weird?" she asks. "No. It's perfect," I say, hoping for a girl now. Edward's eyes lights up for the first time for a while as he hides a smile. "What? What's he saying now?" Bella asks. "He says he loves you. He adores you. And he'll try not to move to much in case he hurts you," Edward says with adoration in his words. "Let's go," I whisper to Rosalie who leaves the room with me. I glance back in the room to see Edward and Bella smiling at Bella's belly before I close the door to give them some privacy.

Later that day, Edward tells us about his idea. "Carlisle is going to deliver the baby tomorrow. As soon as he comes back. And then as soon as the baby is out, we'll give her the venom. If the venom is fast enough, it'll heal her and keep her alive," Edward explains. "That's a good plan. For you," I tease. He gives me a smile. "We need more blood here!" Rosalie yells from the other room. I grab a cup of blood and I bring it to Rosalie. "One more day," Bella says, patting her large stomach. "One more day," Rosalie says encouragingly as she hands Bella the cup. "Alrighty then. Whoops-" Bella says as the cup slips from her hand. All at once, Rosalie, Edward, Bella, and I reach for the cup. There was an earsplitting crack and Bella lets out a scream.

Rosalie scoops Bella up in her arms and speeds upstairs to the medical room. "ALICE. CALL CARLISLE NOW!" she screams in panic. "Morphine!" Edward yells as I hand it to him. "Brooke, help with the blood. You're the only one who can stand it," Carlisle says through the phone. "Grab it! The baby's dying!" Rosalie screeches. "Let the morphine spread!" Edward growls. "There's no time!" Rosalie says. "Just reach in and grab the baby," Carlisle's calm voice instructs. I reach in to Bella's stomach and I pull out the baby. Bella jerked, trying to scream, but she couldn't. She was choking. I quickly hand the baby to Edward and I try to think of the right spell to use. Besides me, Rosalie tenses, and her teeth bare back at the sight of blood. "Rosalie no!" Edward yells as Jacob launches at her. "Prop her up," I instruct. "What do I do with the baby?" Edward asks frantically. "THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW!" Jacob yells.

I glare at Jacob. "Give the baby to me. I can do it Edward," Rosalie says. Edward hesitates before he hands the baby to Rosalie. As soon as the baby leaves his hands, he goes back to propping Bella up in an upright position. "Anapneo," I say quikly, waving my hands at Bella's throat. She was able to breath again. She lets out a breath of relief. "Edward, put the venom in now," I tell him. "Wait- let me see-" Bella croaks, signalling to the baby. "Bella, you'll have plenty of time to admire your baby later," I growl. "I know a spell that can fix her bones. But it's risky," I tell Edward as he's getting the venom ready. "Do it," he says. "Brakium Emendo," I say and I hear the sound of Bella's bones snapping back together. "The venom. Now," I say. Edward shoves a steel syringe needle straight into Bella's heart. "What is that?" Jacob asks. "My venom," Edward answers. "Keep it moving," Edward orders as he pumps Bella's heart. Bella has no reaction to any of this. "She's not dead. She can't be," Edward mutters to himself. "Leave," he tells me and Jacob. "Edward-" I start to say. "Leave. Please," Edward says. I look at him sadly as I leave the room with Jacob.

Downstairs, Rosalie is hugging the baby tightly. "Hello, Renesmee," she coos. So the baby was a girl. Besides me, Jacob crumples. "Jacob?" I ask. Rosalie turns around, "Who killed the dog?" "I don't know. He just-" I start to say. Outside, we hear barks and howls. I look at Rosalie and we both nod, acknowledging what's going on. Werewolves.