Chapter Three

Su Xui noticed that the sky was already turning dark, indicating nightly hours. Using the light on the recently purchased oil lamp, Su Xiu treaded her way to the cave where the host’s siblings were staying. Despite the heavy snow falls restricting her movements, Su Xiu managed to get by until she reached her destination.

Just as she took a step inside the cave, Su Xiu was greeted with Su Kai who was waiting for her arrival in trepidation.

“Big Sis! “

Su Kai exclaimed as soon as she saw her silhouette at the entrance of the cave. His previous countenance full of worry was changed to eagerness and expectation as he saw her holding a big basket covered with a blanket. Su Kai didn’t need to see what’s inside to find out what his sister brought to them.

It was the smell of buns!

Su Kai salivated as he rubbed his stomach in hunger.

“Come here! “

Su Xiu  motioned for Su Kai to move closer as she distributed the big buns to him, leaving one stored on the basket for herself.

“One big buns for everyone. For the toddlers, they can’t finish a whole big bun like this so give them half each. If anyone is still hungry, give them another bun. No need to save food tonight as long as everyone is well fed and taken care of… Just make sure not to stuffed them too much. That would be another problem if that happens… “

“But Big Sis...tomorrow …. “

Su Kai said hesitatingly and in broken sentences. He looked concerned and alarmed for their next day’s food ration and survival in this forest area.

Su Xiu tapped his shoulder in comfort.

“Let me worry for that. You just have to take care of them here while I’m out, okay? You’re already greatly helping Big Sis this way,  okay? “

He nodded obediently after momentarily thinking.

“Rest assured, I’ll take care of them well. You don’t need to worry for us here… “

Su Kai was so determined as he promised to Su Xiu of taking care the well being of their younger siblings.

“Let Su Bowen and Su Ai help you of taking care of the little ones. For Su Bao, just give her menial task that doesn’t require her to much work o energy. After all, she’s still a 6 year old kid. Make sure everyone is warmed up comfortably for tonight. Here are the blankets, one for each of you….”

Su Kai reached out for the heavy and thick blankets that was handed by his Big sister. He felt the warmth coming from the blankets and knew that they will be comfortable, well-fed and in good condition for tonight.