chapter twenty-six

WHILE THE man’s eyes were on the couple, he stood there with triple the amount on him.

   Was this Isaac’s brother? The staff knew about Ruth and Casey, but there wasn’t even a whisper about an older brother for Isaac. Now he stood here in the store? And on top of it, he was a well known artist.

   “C:map?” said the couple in unison.

   “Did we not discuss this already?” asked the man. “Using my stage name in a normal conversation feels weird. Imagine I called you, Gospel Rapper, every time we spoke.”

   “Sorry, we didn’t mean to,” said Isaac, “we’re just surprised to see you, Claude.”

   “No worries,” he replied, “I'm just as surprised as you.”

   “How so?”

   “You know, to see you not wearing a gown in public.”

   The artist got a giggle out of Ruth, “I will never forget that night.”

   “Trust me,” said Isaac, “that was a one time thing.”

   “Really? You then looked so attached to it,” joked Claude. “There’s no harm in that, fam.”

   “I agree,” added Ruth.

   “Stop it, guys,” laughed Isaac.

   “I know it's only been a few days, but it's good to see you guys again.”

   “Likewise,” said Ruth.

   “Weren't you and Johnny scheduled to leave yesterday already?” asked Isaac.

   “That was the original plan, but then the strangest thing happened. Myself and Johnny got an invitation, and . . .”

   Claude's words drifted away as Ruth thought about that night she ended up at Isaac's place.

   She had knocked countless times hoping for him to answer. And he had. Ruth wanted to jump into his arms and express what she was feeling, but Isaac hadn't fully overcome his shyness yet.

   “Ruth?” he had asked, “Are you okay?”

   She had been invited inside, but declined. The Uber waited outside, and he was expecting a guest. At least, that's what Ruth told him.

   “You need a lift?” she had asked Isaac.

   “A lift?”

   “I'm on my way to the concert,” she said, “thought you might want to tag along.”

   Her inner voice begged Isaac not to question. She was hanging over the edge. Hearing Luke's name would only have sent her over. And he did just that. He hadn't asked.

   Ruth's eyes and the Uber was enough evidence to come to a conclusion. “I'm no way dressed for a concert,” Isaac said instead.

   “It's okay,” mumbled Ruth, “I understand . . .”

   Why was he so shy when she needed him the most?