chapter sixteen - the following morning

TAMMY OF North City News, Radio and Visuals had a live interview with the agent of the celebrity everyone was talking about, whether they were secular fans or not.

Isaac came into the lounge with two cups, but Ruth's attention was firmly on the TV screen. He put the cup down next to her before he took his seat on the other side.

"Thank you, Isaac," said Ruth.

"My pleasure . . ." he replied.

"I'm not just talking about the hot chocolate now," she looked him dead in the eyes like the night before, "thank you for everything, especially last night."

"I had a great time too," Isaac's shyness shied away, "I'm glad we've finally figured this thing out."

A shy smile tugged at her lips.

"Luke Chase gave a surprise performance last night," said Tammy to the audience, "as you can see on the video, he was performing, Money Goals, one of the songs that's on par with, So Enjoyable, for best song of the album, never mind single of the year. This morning, we got his agent, Nick Dobe, to talk on behalf of our favourite celebrity. Good morning, Nick."

"A very good morning indeed, Tammy," replied Nick, who sat opposite her, "let me just apologize to the audience first. I know how much they would rather listen to this month's Sexiest Man Alive, but right now he is currently having his beauty sleep, and that's why I'm here in his place."

"Oh, wow," said Ruth, not surprised, "this is going to be a long interview."

"Did everyone hear that? Sleep is very important for one to achieve success," said the host. "Tell me, Nick, what's Luke thinking?"

"That's an interesting question. I don't think I would be an agent if I could tell people what dreams you were having while you were sleeping, Tammy."

"Very long actually . . ." mumbled Isaac.

"I see what you did there, but I'm not referring to that. The people want to know why Luke Chase was performing in a church three days ago?" Tammy addressed the elephant in the room.

"Straight to the point, hey?"

"We have limited time to give our listeners and viewers the truth, agent Dobe."

"What was the question again?"

"Why was Luke performing in a church?"

"On Sunday?" stalled Nick.

"Yes . . ."

"Sunday's performance was nothing but him supporting his home town church. Rumor has it, he was asked to perform before the offering took place, and the church believes in the Holy Spirit guiding what the people give, which, if you ask me, is wrong, since I know from my time when I was going to church, it's nothing more or less than ten percent."

"Actually -" attempted Tammy.

"Anyway," continued Nick, "as I was saying, this took place before offering, and I'm not surprised that the Holy Spirit guided the people to give more than they ever had before. The Church, or the people in the building, whatever they call themselves these days, they should be thanking Luke Chase if anything."

Mrs. Banner walked into the lounge, "I can't believe the nerve of this agent . . ."

"I honestly don't know why Luke lets this guy speak on his behalf," said Isaac, "he is so good at lying and convincing at the same time, it's annoying . . ."

"I see," said Tammy, "but the problem is this: Luke was caught performing at a church one day and then a night club the next. After Sunday, people thought he could be another Saul-Paul type situation, but now they are starting to think he's just another wolf in sheep's clothing."