chapter five - friday night

THE ONLY heat on offer was from the heater and the bars the artist was spitting. Margarette Kane pulled to the side of the road and picked up, hopefully, the last fan. She hopped into the back seat with an ear to ear smile.

Who wouldn't be excited? They were on their way to the much anticipated concert. North City Radio had spent the past hour promoting it. The blonde girl in the passenger seat cranked up the volume upon hearing the Ladies Love Luke track.

Margarette checked her mirror as she heard a window open, but her brunette friend gave her a lighten up look after she tossed an overworked joint out. The robots flicked orange and then red in one smooth movement, forcing her to bring the car to a halt. The back row seats had twice the amount of girls than the front, one would have thought that Luke Chase was making the music video back there.

The robot granted them permission to continue their journey towards the island. They were nearly by the bridge that made no attempts to grab Fortuna Island, unlike women when they saw Luke Chase.

+++

The girls got onto one of the many ferries with screaming fans, who probably would've been quiet if there weren't any cameras. Many clearly left not just their cars, but their dignity behind as well.

Margarette was here to do more than celebrate her old friend. She was proud of his success. He brought himself out of the depths of poverty. Sadly, the people inside didn't even know that Luke once walked among them. The very thought had become nothing but a rumor that lurked itself into extinction.

The ferry pulled up to the port on the huge island. The Grand Fortuna Arena stood there in the center like it demanded attention.

The height challenged the skyscrapers. The width made them look skinny. One would have assumed the humans were boarding a space ship ready to leave earth.

+++

Inside the arena, fans took their seats and absorbed the atmosphere. The girls, that Margarette picked up along the way, had decided to form a fan club with her and her brunette best friend.

"Gabi, please keep my seat for me," said Margarette.

"Hey, Kane, remember we came to have fun," said the brunette as she grabbed Margarette's hand, "not to score."

"But didn't you say you wanted to score with Chase?"

It was the main reason why Margarette kept secret the past friendship she had with the celebrity. If her best friend knew, she would never hear the end of it.

"Yeah, stop changing it to me," said Gabi with a guilty smile, "you know exactly what I'm talking about."

"I just need to confirm something," Margarette broke away from the group of girls. "I'll be back before the concert starts, don't worry."

"Why would I be worried about having Luke all to myself?"

+++

An eruption of cheers could be heard outside the arena. A reporter, not from NCN, watched as a limo pulled up at the entry point. Silence overcame the crowd as a man got out of the driver seat and walked to what was assumed to be the celebrity's side.