chapter thirteen

LUKE’S PHONE danced him awake, but he was no way in the same mood. Money Goals was his ringtone and his favourite song too, but it didn't sound as good when it forced his eyelids open, “It's Chase.”

   “Luke,” the agent was raged. “Have you been on social media since you got back from the church?”

   “No,” his voice was still hoarse, “I went for lunch and then came to the hotel –”

   “You know what, Luke? Being your agent doesn't mean being your mother. I don't want to know what you did after school. Just whether you have been on social media or not?”

   What was Nick's problem? Why such an attitude at such a time in the evening?

   Luke wasn't going to ask and risk the opportunity of sleep. All he had to do was answer questions and then listen to a lecture about social media. Nothing difficult.

   “Nah, I haven't been on since yesterday, Nick. What's the fuss with social media anyway?”

   “You're viral,” boomed Nick.

   “And you woke me up because . . .”

   “This little stunt you pulled, this can cause you to lose your contract.”

   “What?” Luke rose from the dead and grabbed his laptop. “Hold up, what you talking about?”

   “I'm sending you a link.”

   Luke saw the notification scream, pick me. It enlarged like his eyes when he saw the headline.

   “Has Luke Chase returned to his roots?” Nick read the title. “Do you see it there in bold, kid? You actually performed in a church?”

   The agent asked the question as if Luke could say, no, and then the video would disappear.

   “I knew deep down that this was a bad idea,” he continued, “but the CEO insisted that you wouldn't breach the contract. He had faith in you, Luke. Not that I don't, but I understand that you are still young and in need of guidance. I told him, he didn’t want to listen, and would you look at this? I was right after all.”

   “Why didn't you tell me your thoughts from the beginning, Nick?” Luke got emotional.

   “The CEO told me, he accepted the request because he wanted you to feel a part of the family; to know that we got your back. He had a good point. But now he admitted to it being bad judgement on his end. So due to this mishap, he wants you to return to the state before you bring more shame to the label!” Nick added.

   “It isn't like that, Nick! They pressured me to perform . . .” the lie slithered off his tongue before he realized what he said.

   For a moment there was no response from Agent Dobe, “Is that so?”

   How was Luke expected to respond to that? With the truth? Nah, he already planted one foot in, what would a little white lie do now?

   “Yeah . . .” Luke continued down his road of lies.

   “Okay . . .” the agent opened a pack of cigarettes. Again, there was silence as if he was deep in thought.

   “Nick?” the celebrity asked nervously.

   Agent Dobe blew the smoke away, “I'm going to take your word on this one, kid.”

   A wave of relief knocked Luke onto his back.

   “But you will have to override what you did earlier,” added Nick.

   “All good,” said Luke, hastily, “I'm down for whatever.”