chapter one - three years later (part two)

THE ROAD guided the uphill goers straight into the light. Isaac tried to avoid the rays as they took the turn, but that inch of a second was all the sun needed to leave a temporal flash of colours.

Had he heard everything the officer said?

When he touched his headphones, did Isaac change the song, or pause the music? Mrs. Banner knew her son, he stole much of his information without the knowledge of those speaking. However . . . he couldn't handle accidents. He couldn't handle that pain. He couldn't handle that death, yet.

News channels that reported the amount of fatalities in accidents, never mention how each came to be. But Isaac always understood why . . . yet that never stopped the thoughts from plaguing his mind:

What if the person didn't die instantly? How does it feel as you lie there, knowingly sinking into the arms of death? Who do you think of during that moment? Do you think about the pain your death will cause your loved ones? Do you think about life after? Or do you think about how you can't complete your plans for the day? Your plans for the future? Whether or not you'll return as a newborn baby?

These thoughts infested his brain. Not the gore. But the realization that that's that. Your life was about to end as unexpectedly as it started. Regardless, Isaac had no reason to fear death.

"It actually copied your room by the sound of it," Mrs. Banner tried to get her son to lighten up, "it was messy."

She got a struggled grin. Yes, the joke was inappropriate, especially since . . .

The main point was: she cracked the case of whether Isaac's music was paused or not.

Now what? He didn't make any attempts to press play on his headphones. Maybe he wanted to listen to some of his mother's rock music. Some Skillet? No, some Spoken? Neither . . . Isaac was more into rap than rock, unlike her. A bit of both worlds with some Trevor McNevan and Manafest perhaps? No, that was more his father's type of music. And it won't help thinking about him right now, especially since . . .

Maybe turning on the radio would be the best option. No. She knew the radio was the best option. Isaac would normally put his headphones on and drown in the lyrics. Today was different.

The radio grunted like it wasn't ready to wake up.

"Welcome - to the - show," a voice on the North City Radio came alive. "Our guests today are DJ Johnny and C:map. Two upcoming Christian artists."

Isaac's head snapped towards the radio. Yes, the woman's voice was smooth and gentle, and yes, men could probably listen to it whole day. But that was not what grabbed her son's attention . . . right?

The woman continued, "First up, the man behind the scenes, DJ Johnny. His instrumentals are currently taking the industry by storm. Tell me, why did you choose to work with C:map when you had many other secular options?"

"The answer goes way back, Tammy. He and I went to high school together. He popped by uninvited and caught me in the middle of making beats. I usually create on my off days, so his timing was spot on. Then, randomly he just started spitting flames. I thought he gave up, since he stopped for a year or so, you know."

"I see -" said Tammy, doing her job of sounding like the interested interviewer.

"I see it more as: one whole year of learning," added C:map, "I couldn't get rusty since I studied the Word of God."

"But everyone that has heard your previous music, knows that you are considered a secular artist," said Tammy, "what I'm really trying to get at, is this: are you now a rapper that is Christian, or a Christian rapper?"

There was a slight pause. For he knew the answer, but he needed to use this opportunity to say it correctly, "I'm going to answer that now, but first, you know what I find amusing? Many of these Christian artists want to separate themselves from other "Christians," but not from other rappers."

"I see, like the difference between a set apart one and a Sunday Christian? That's a big statement to make though," said Tammy.

"I know there's this debate on who's what, and who's both," DJ Johnny got involved, "but from what we believe, we are not of this world."

"Well said, Johnny," continued C:map, "you see, Tammy, that question can seriously expose the reason why one's in the music industry as a Christian."

"Really? Care to explain to our audience?" asked Tammy.

"Sure, with pleasure," C:map sat up straighter. "Look at it this way: so many rappers mention god in their tracks, but Jesus said that we will know them by their fruit. So we know who is talking about Elohim and who is not. However, here's my question to those rappers who are Christian. Listen carefully now . . . if Jesus told us to deny ourselves, why would you want people to know that you a rapper, before they know that you a follower?"

"Interesting way to look at it," said Mrs. Banner, now interested.

"But you've given different ways of how you guys view the question, yet haven't actually answered it," said Tammy. "Let's do this, first and simple, what exactly are you trying to say?"

"Simple? We quick to say that Christianity is different to other religions, but not quick to want to be labeled differently in the music industry," said C:map.

"Yes, that's another great way to put it," agreed DJ Johnny, "we don't want to be labeled as another DJ/producer, or another hip hop artist. No, we want to be the salt of the industry. The city on a hilltop."

"I see. Back to the question then." Tammy shifted her focus onto the rapper, "C:map, are you a rapper that's Christian, or a Christian rapper?"

"With all that being said, I am a Christian rapper," said C:map, "my story is about how I was a rapper that was "Christian." I was a lukewarm Christian just abusing His grace. Not denying Jesus but not truly living for Him either. Then I heard, Yahshuandi, the Gospel Rapper, in the Rappers Behind Bars competition. I felt the words and I truly believe God spoke through him with that final rap. It wasn't long before I surrendered my life to the Lord and spent a year in His Word before I dared to spit in His name."

"I see, and you truly believe the industry needs this now?" asked Tammy, genuinely curious.

"No, the industry always had it. They just ignored it. It became a hidden genre only known to a few. Whether the industry needs it? No. I believe the people need it. They've had their ears watered closed. It's about time that truth music opens them!" exclaimed C:map.

"Indeed it is!" DJ Johnny added with an exhilarated clap, "hear me when I say this: C. H. H. Ain't Dead . . ."

+++

Very important, please note:
I'm thankful to have you as a reader.
Feel free to comment or vote,
if you enjoyed reading the chapter.