MOMENT OF PEACE

I knew I wouldn't be able to stay at this place forever, however I was going to enjoy it while I could.  The ocean was so peaceful and helped me sleep at night.  I loved having the private beach area and the ocean right at my door step.

   " How are you? How are you taking all this in? Thought I should check on you. " consoled Bren.

    " So thoughtful of you to ask.  I'm dealing as best as I can. I'm very thankful to have my aunt here. I appreciate what you did. I'm sure the agency didn't want her here. Enough about me. What about you? Your the mystery here. Do you have family, kids, significant other or wife back home? Where is home for you? When do you get relieved from duty? " I questioned.

     " Normally, I'm not supposed to say anything to you and not get involved. The circumstances with you are completely different.  I took this case because I have very little family and hoped this be a huge step in my career.  I would love the family life someday, just as you can tell, almost always busy with work and not sure how that would play out with my career. For me, I haven't had time to find that forever home. Growing up, my parents traveled a lot with work and we lived in lots of places. Unfortunately, they passed in a plane crash several years back. Looks like we both lost our parents." He replied sadly.

    " I worked so hard to land the job I always dreamed of. I missed out on a lot with the late nights of studying and then the internships and co-ops to prepare me for the job I got. Becky and Mia were so supportive through all of this. Before college and during we did take some great trips together. They loved to play truth or dare. I was the more focused and serious one of the 3 of us. I didn't want to go that creepy place. They talked me into it. I should have said no or found some excuse to get us out of that situation. I miss my best friends so much. " I cried,  as the tears came down my face.

    " I'm here for you. I know it will never be the same without them. Just glad I could get your aunt here. " He soothed  and comforted me, as he held me in his strong embrace.

    We fell asleep on the beach that night under the stars. I awoke the next morning in Bren's arms.

   " I -uh-uh got to get to the house to check on Harlow."  He stuttered. He quickly got up and ran towards the house.