A lone Raven

We have settled down in a small one room apartment that we shared with two other humans, Mary and Sophie. We met them at work or where Aya works. When we went in the small restaurant by the beach to ask for job, they immediately took her in. Even though it was small, it was lively and busy with humans and werewolves alike who filled tables after table, both inside and out.

Aya refused me to go to work. She says that my big mouth will lead me to trouble eventually. And in a busy restaurant like that, there are too many eyes and ears to judge us. But after two days of doing nothing, I went to hunt down jobs myself.

I found a small café to work in which was a few blocks away. They did not complain about the way I dressed. All they said was I had to wear an apron on top. That's it. Not like I had to come out to the front. All I had to do was prepare drinks and hand it over. It's all thanks to Oliver who kindly taught me how to use the machines.

At first, Aya was mad but when she saw how quiet and away it was from the crowd, she didn't complain. And of course, we needed all the money we can get. We were so busy with work that we hardly saw one another. I work in the morning so when I wake up to go to work, Aya is never home. She works the night as she says, the pays' better for the night shifts.

I'm starting to hate this. I hate this life now. All we seem to do is work. Although the people are nice to me. Like really nice. But I cannot help it. I miss us when we were back in the woods. I miss me back in the woods. So free.

Unlike the prisoner I have become to this world that I expect nothing more of. I don't talk as much. I'm starting to be mindful about what I say in front of others. You never know who you are up against. I hate this. I really do. But I don't show it. I never do. Like always I keep it all to myself.

As usual Aya is not back. But today is Sunday and it's her day off so, I'm happy and excited that I'll see her in the afternoon. I, too had decided to work only for a few hours on Sunday when I found out it's Aya's day off.

It's almost six in the morning. I need to be at the work by six-thirty to get the café open and running by seven. I mostly see Oliver at work. He is always working on the days I am. Such a coincidence. But I don't mind. With his scruffy blond hair, blue eyes and tanned skin, he's good looking and sweet. I like working with him.

"Morning" I say as I walk in through the café door, which Oliver had kindly left it open for me. I hear Oliver shout out morning cheerfully from the back as he comes running to see me through the counter. He waves at me awkwardly. I wave back and make my way into the counter to get my apron. "Morning" I say to Sarah who's making sandwiches in the kitchen as I walk around Oliver, tying my apron and start cleaning the machine.

"How's your morning so far?" he asks as he goes back inside to unpack the boxes of cups and lids. "Yeah, it's good." See I wouldn't reply like this normally. Like its barely been an hour since I woke so, how do I know how my morning went. How much I'm holding back, only I know. Oh, boy.

"Good morning, everyone" Emily comes in, flicking her shoulder length brown hair and equally brown eyes. She's always cheerful. She's a little shorter than me but she walks around like she's the tallest. The confidence she has. "Morning" we all respond, all equally dull in comparison to her cheerful greeting.

Then she starts talking with Oliver. That's when I zone out completely. The day has whizzed past and it was time for me to leave in about five minutes. As I'm doing the last bit of cleaning before I leave, Oliver comes behind me as if he has something to say. "Yes?" I ask turning around to face him.

"Umm. I was wondering what you were doing this afternoon?" He's hesitant. He scratches the back of his head, acting all nervous? "I'm going to spend time with my sister today. Why?" I ask him back, curious.

He seems disappointed but quickly recovers. "Oh okay. Enjoy your time with your sister. I'll see you tomorrow I guess." He walks backwards and soon disappears around the corner. Weird.

I look at the clock hanging on top of the glass door. The wall of the café was a beautiful cream with simple wooden chairs and wooden tables, almost every corner filled with vintage decorations littering across. But that somehow made it look, aesthetically beautiful. I guess it's time to leave.

"I'll see you all tomorrow. Have a nice afternoon, guys." I look over at Sarah and Emily who was whispering in the kitchen. But I did not pay them any attention as I was excited to spend time with Aya again.

So, I untied my apron and hanged it on the hanger as I hurried my way out the café. The cool breeze from the ocean blew bits of stray hair that came loose from the low bun that was now resting on the back of my neck.

Freedom at last. I quickly headed back to the small apartment that was a bit further away from the ocean. But I was not complaining. My promise with the ocean was still incomplete as I did not have time or a sister to go and enjoy with. So that dream was still far away. Although it was a few minutes away. Yet so far.

As I opened the apartment door, I was met by yet another silence. Disappointment fills me as I go to our room and see an empty neatly folded bed so much like how it was when I left this morning. I walked to the other corner to a small bed where I laid. I didn't feel her presence anywhere in the apartment. Not even Mary or Sophie were in their rooms.

"So, this is what loneliness feels like." I whisper to myself as I turn my head to Aya's bed so much like my own. This feeling should not be foreign to me. But as I lay here on the bed, staring at an empty bed, my eyes fill with sadness. My heart tightens inside my chest. Breathing hurts.

I coil on my bed and pull my legs up so I can wrap my arms over it. Now, I didn't even have the green leaves and vines to cover me, to comfort me. I didn't have the woods to swallow my loneliness. Once again, I was alone. All alone. A lone Raven in the midst of this crazy world. Crazier than Raven itself. It made her look sane. It made me look sane for once.

"I miss home." I whisper as I close my eyes. A tear as lonely as my soul manages to escape the sadness in my eyes. It itself couldn't tolerate its own sadness anymore. Although I miss home, I don't know where home is anymore.

Then finally the tiredness and sadness take up my conscious. After a long time since I left the woods on Eliana's property, I slept. A dreamless one. But full of nightmares. Because dreams don't scare this much. Or does it?