Raven A Human

It's already been four days since we started our journey towards Wyoming. We keep to the forest. We continue during the day and rest the night. We hunt some animals along the way, when we are hungry. Don't worry I don't eat them alive like I used to. Remember, I'm more human now. And we've got skills to light up fire. Apparently, Eliana was really good at that too. I don't know where she learnt that skills from though.

We keep away from the main roads or highways. You know one gotta be careful. Who knows what kind of frenemies we might encounter? And right now, we are not looking for anymore company. Well at least I'm not. Eliana was enough to torture me. She enjoys making fun of me as she keeps on mentioning my 'short' legs. I think she's amused how easily she can rile me up. And knowing me, I always take the bait unfortunately.

Our plan to stick to the woods comes to an end as we have to take the roads now. And that road will eventually lead to civilisation. Here we go. I'm reluctant to leave but excitement bubbles up inside my chest for the expectation of the future that I see myself in.

The ground that I see beyond is now paved forming a path to a world very different to mine, leading to unforeseeable future. In the woods, I had the trees over my roof, its leaves to shelter me even from the brightest and the warmest sun. The land so green laid out its lush greenery wherever I stepped. The sky so vast and endless. Most of my days, most often than sometimes, filled with the darkness, the mist that covered me and kept me hidden even from the forest itself. The smell of the fresh woods always filled my heart. The croaking of the ravens and even the growls and snarls of the animals were like a melody to my ears. I have lived my entire life, surrounded and being protected by these. I can proudly say that I have lived.

I inhale a deep breath of the fresh woods, the smell of rain, the grass, the wildflowers. I take everything in as I set my feet off the carpet of the green ground. I leave everything behind at the same time, I take everything with me. In me. These woods made me a wild animal, a rogue, a beast but still a human. I don't look behind as my feet carries me further away from the place, I used to once call my home. Because I fear that I might run and hid into its arms that always seemed to welcome me. No matter what. So, I set my foot forward and walk away from it because I know, if or when I need to it will spread its arms open for me again and take me in its shelter once more.

The road we took is deserted. Not a single means of transportation has passed by since we hit the road which was two days ago. Not even animals crossed our paths. Fatigue and hunger were no enemies of mine, but I can see Aya's strong composer breaking. I know that no matter how much she denies to, but she knows that we have to rest. But as stubborn as she is, she refuses to accept it because she's strong. A normal werewolf might not have been able to endure the length and torture of the journey. But Aya is abnormally normal. Only she was raised by the woods and it gave her the strength and confidence she now has.

Aya was what I call, the child the forest groomed. She was born in a pack indeed with a loving parent but after their death, the forest took over the responsibility. The forest was hard on her, she stumbled, she fell, she got hurt in the process, but she got up. And every time she got up; she grew stronger.

"Aya, do you think I should be bald when I get there. My hair stinks." I know I make no sense now. But it's the least I can do to occupy her mind and make her forget about the journey ahead.

And for the hundredth time, she shakes her head in disbelief. She truly believes that I'm crazy. And I keep on proving her right each time. "Maybe I should do that too. That might be cool you know." Eliana agrees with me this time. "I know right. Aya maybe you should do it too. And we can be the bald trio." I say, which makes Aya stop and look at us as if we have grown extra pair of eyes on our face. She opens her mouth to say something but stops when we both look at her expectantly and starts walking ahead without looking back at us. We both bursts out laughing and run after her.

The morning of the third day on the road, we hear an engine and a soft tune playing in the far distance. Eliana decides that it will be best we ask for a lift as we were quite further away than we had expected. Even though the ride was in the back of the truck filled with hays, we didn't find. Actually, we found it quite comfortable as we lay on our backs, looking up at the sky from the moving vehicle. The feeling of being on top of a moving wheel made my heart excited. Yep it was my first-time riding on a truck or any means of transportation in general.

The driver was an old farmer who was heading toward our journey and he didn't mind dropping us along the way. Thank god that he didn't ask us any questions. He must have seen our dishevelled looks and felt some pity.

Hours passed by as we watched the beautiful scenery playing in front of us. The roads were built around mountains, as tall pine trees surrounded either side of the road. The sound of a noisy river flowing through the valley of the mountain, the smell of the nature that enveloped us so heavy in the air once again, as I breathed in. Taking it all in.

As I lay on the back of the moving truck, for a second, I forgot about everything. The sound of the engine hummed like music to my ears as my lungs kept filling itself greedily. Hungrily.

We finally made it there after a few hours. We thanked the driver as he drives away continuing his journey. "So, where we headed to now?" Aya asks Eliana. I turn to look towards them after I'm done waving at the driver.

"My car is parked in the town that's an hour away from here. You might want to get ready for another long walk." She says looking my way as I smile brightly. The idea of riding a car, the same day I ride a truck, excited me. But as her eyes narrows at me, my smile fades. "What?"

"How come you are not dying with tiredness? The paths that we took was hard even for a regular werewolf" she looks at Aya then looks back at me. "And you are a human. You are. Right?" she arches an eyebrow and shifts her weight on one leg as she leans to the side, arms crossed, trying to figure me out.

"I told you I'm a beast." I say calmly as I smile back at her once again. I could feel Aya try to control her reaction. But Eliana laughs out loud. Her laughter filling the quiet evening and echoed throughout. She starts walking ahead as she holds out one arm motioning for us to follow.

Aya gives me a look that says we are going to have a talk as she follows Eliana. I just shrug my shoulders and start following behind them. Oh, boy.